Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Well from an aquifer  (Read 4713 times)

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Well from an aquifer
« on: October 19, 2012, 08:18:29 pm »

I made a well by simply channeling down into an aquifer, so the well is just one tile deep and wide, and has a pile of mud at the bottom.

I remember everyone saying that it would create contaminated water (it's even on the wiki), and yet when I view buckets filled from that well it's just water (not stagnant water that I see when using murky pools).

Is it clean, or is there a hidden dirtiness property?
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Lopezruy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well from an aquifer
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 08:35:34 pm »

There are a few bugs (Shown on wiki, somewhere.) with water. A well makes any water source, whether it be saltwater, stagnant water, etc., a drinkable type of water for your dwarves. Nothing will happen to your dwarves, except quenching their thirsts.  ;D

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 08:47:11 pm »

Caveat:  It will make the water into fresh, drinkable water, but it will NOT remove any contaminants from said water.

Many a fortress has had a vampire impaled in its well to make a vampire multiplier.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 09:01:47 pm »

Clarification: even without a constructed well the water looks clean. Meaning a simple hole in the sand  ???

Is that the expected behaviour?

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 09:18:28 pm »

Water drawn from a one z-level thick well will be laced with mud. This is only important when dealing with hospitals.

To avoid this, have minimally a cistern/hole that is filled with water at least 2 z-levels thick. The top layer amount doesn't matter, just as long as there are at least 2 layers.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Wurgel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 08:59:41 am »

Clarification: even without a constructed well the water looks clean. Meaning a simple hole in the sand  ???

Is that the expected behaviour?

why not? Sand is extremly good at filtering water.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 09:13:34 am »

To avoid this, have minimally a cistern/hole that is filled with water at least 2 z-levels thick. The top layer amount doesn't matter, just as long as there are at least 2 layers.
The brilliant thing being you can use this to make a clean well drawing water from the aquifer.

Zivilin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Science Division
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 10:29:43 am »

I was wondering about the same thing. I think this picture visualizes the issue:

Spoiler: Aquifer vs Murky Pool (click to show/hide)

The bottom screen shows the bottom of a Murky Pool. It says that it is full of "Stagnant Water", and I think it is reasonable to assume that a well built over this tile would provide stagnant water, thus causing unhappy thoughts for any dwarf drinking it etc.

The top screen shows a single tile of channeled aquifer. The tile is said to contain only "Water", and a dusting of mud. Is this as bad as having stagnant water? Back in v0.31.25 I also used multilevel-cisterns under wells to have clean water, but I always filled them either from a Murky pool or a river. Th Well Guide wiki article from v0.31.25 seems to imply that a single tile channeled into aquifer provides clean water. Did this change in v0.34?
No signature

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2012, 11:08:05 am »

I don't believe water laced with mud provides the same unhappy thought as drinking stagnant water.

Best bet would be to use a screw pump to move the water into a constructed cistern. I don't think screw pumps moves contaminants through them.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 04:31:09 pm »

Is "Water laced with mud" something you can read somewhere?

I'm confused because I don't see it anywhere, not in the water hole, not in the bucket description, not on the water description itself. All I see is "Water[10]", which suggests clean water.

In older game versions, I do somewhat remember seeing "Water laced with mud" though.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 04:36:30 pm »

There are a few bugs (Shown on wiki, somewhere.) with water. A well makes any water source, whether it be saltwater, stagnant water, etc., a drinkable type of water for your dwarves. Nothing will happen to your dwarves, except quenching their thirsts.  ;D
Last I checked, it just made dwarves ignore the saltiness.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 06:25:43 pm »

Is "Water laced with mud" something you can read somewhere?
It should be visible in the description of the bucket.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.