Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfing a Palm III  (Read 552 times)

katwithk

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist likes kats for their calmness and logic.
    • View Profile
Dwarfing a Palm III
« on: October 19, 2012, 08:40:13 am »

So not too long ago, I picked up an old 3Com Palm III from a garage sale.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I was always a fan of Palm Pilots, and was sad to seem them rendered "obsolete" by "smart" phones. (namely, the blackberry)

I have dreams of one day being a computer programmer, though trying to learn to code on my own has thus far proven a task beyond me. I've decided to give it another shot trying to program this Palm. Not only have I heard that the programming language is C-similar (and C is the only language with which I have even limited noobly experience), but software for this thing will be hard to come by.

Naturally, as dwarf fortress rules my life, I want to devise some dwarfy things to make this piece do.

I have as of yet been unable to get this thing to interface with my computer. It could be that windows 7 either can handle HotSync, or recognise the Palm. Could be both. Could be that it connects via a serial port, which I don't have, so I've been trying to use a usb-to-serial converter.

Point is, donnae work yet.
Despite this, I thought I'd open up to discussion the kinds of things I might be able to accomplish with this bit of handheld technology that they stopped making before the turn of the millenium.

(at this point I've given up entirely on trying to convince people I am not a nerd.)

The only idea I've had so far that I have much hope of actually being able to pull off is something much like WikiTaxi, but readable on my Palm.

I'll keep y'all posted on any developments.

Also!

I'm also still strongly considering buying a much more recent palm (like the Tungsten)  because I see them for -super cheap- on the ebays. If I do that, trust my cheap ass willbe motivated ot learn how to program it.
If anybody with experience either with programming in general, or much more helpfully with programming for Palms could volunteer their insights, I would think them a most awesome and wonderful person.
A tall, slender creature fond of coffee and computers.