Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: wood block suggestion  (Read 913 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
wood block suggestion
« on: November 01, 2012, 07:05:59 am »

Very minor suggestion, probably easy enough to implement:

Please, make it so that wood logs, like stone blocks, give 4 blocks per log. It would help tremendously with my next coloured wooden floor project.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

JanusTwoface

• Bay Watcher
  • murbleblarg
    • View Profile
    • jverkamp.com
Re: wood block suggestion
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 09:22:26 am »

Very minor suggestion, probably easy enough to implement:

Try the search box in the top right. :)

(Sorry, but the wording was just too tempting to pass up.)

That being said, I do agree that this would be a really useful update! Breaking apart resources so that you don't have crazy situations where 1 rock = 1 earring = 1 stone table would be all sorts of nice.

Also for your particular situation, if you wanted you could always mod in a workshop that turns a log into 4 "planks" or some such which you could then use as flooring. I don't recall the specifics off the top of my head, but I'm 95% sure that someone over in the modding forum could whip up such a thing in short order.
You may think I'm crazy / And I think you may be right
But life is ever so much more fun / If you are the crazy one

My blog: Photography, Programming, Writing
Novels: A Sea of Stars, Confession

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 07:46:47 pm »

Easy enough, it's been done.
Also, the 1 stone -> 4 blocks happened to let us build as much as with legendary miners. While I heartily support this idea, that should be mentioned...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 06:01:52 am »

Easy enough, it's been done.
Also, the 1 stone -> 4 blocks happened to let us build as much as with legendary miners. While I heartily support this idea, that should be mentioned...
I'm not sure if it is needed. It all depends on how much wood the multitile trees will produce. Probably more than they used too.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2012, 10:47:05 pm »

-snip-
I'm not sure if it is needed. It all depends on how much wood the multitile trees will produce. Probably more than they used too.
I imagine larger trees will be less numerous, and grow more slowly. Still, your point stands. Since this aspect is currently being rebalanced, we should wait to see how it turns out before we make suggestions. In the mean time, you can make a custom milling workshop that turns 1 wood into 4 blocks; It kind of reverses the problem, however, in that now 1 wood = 4 walls = 1 earring.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 07:43:32 am »

1-3 earrings/bracelets/figurines/etc. There are 1-3 crafts made per job.
Also bear in mind that waste wood (sawdust and such) in higher for detailed crafts than simple blocks.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 07:17:25 pm »

Even so, a significantly higher volume of wood is required to make four dwarf sized blocks impassable then to decorate 3 ears.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2012, 08:37:47 pm »

Which is a quirk which will be fixed by the magical day of DF 1.0.
Sig

Bytyan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 02:20:48 am »

touché