Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Linux Suggestions  (Read 802 times)

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
Linux Suggestions
« on: October 17, 2012, 09:39:47 am »

I'm in the process of trying to get Dwarf Fortress up and running on a computer I keep running at home, and have used basically as a Minecraft Server for the most part. I'm interested in getting DFTerm running on this as well, and was wondering a few things:

-Which distro of Linux have people had most success running DF with?

-Which distro of Linux has anyone had success running DFTerm on?

I'm interested in bare bones installs that will take the least amount of work to get DF up and running with. Honestly, I don't have a copy of Windows to run (or I probably would), and I'm not an expert at Linux but can get around decently. I've run a few version of Ubuntu, but that's about it.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Granite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 12:02:57 pm »

I don't know about DFTerm, but from my experience, the best distro to play DF and run tools like DFHack (with Stonesense) and DwarfTherapist without much tinkering is Ubuntu.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2012, 12:11:26 pm »

It's a few version ago, now, but I had good results under Fedora.  (Although I first ran Windows DF under WINE, which also ran fine.)

This is just the core DF, though, and also relates to the extant latest version available at the time I did this (in case the newer versions broke any compatibilities it previously had).  I can't comment on whether DFHack/DwarfTherapist/etc/etc would work as easily.

rcmgames

• Bay Watcher
  • Woop woop!
    • View Profile
    • Ryan C Michaels
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 10:13:11 am »

I don't know about DFTerm, but from my experience, the best distro to play DF and run tools like DFHack (with Stonesense) and DwarfTherapist without much tinkering is Ubuntu.

Thanks. I've been using Ubuntu as well, and it's been pretty good so far.

It's a few version ago, now, but I had good results under Fedora.  (Although I first ran Windows DF under WINE, which also ran fine.)

This is just the core DF, though, and also relates to the extant latest version available at the time I did this (in case the newer versions broke any compatibilities it previously had).  I can't comment on whether DFHack/DwarfTherapist/etc/etc would work as easily.

I just assumed WINE would have problems since DF is so CPU intensive, but I'll have to give it a try.
Check out my Dwarf Fortress LP!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 10:17:43 am »

When I used Wine, it was just before an actual major speed-up effort on behalf of Toady (not sure when that was, butit was way before the "optimise populations as statistical clouds"/whatever one that later sped up worldgen), so perhaps we were all used to slower games.

But I'd gone to full Windows-on-Windows by the actual time this happened.  Salt, pinches of, be prepared to take.