Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barrels ignore stockpile take/give settings?  (Read 760 times)

Chuggz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Barrels ignore stockpile take/give settings?
« on: October 24, 2012, 08:21:00 pm »

I tried searching around, and while I found numerous references to the widespread 'haulers bring container to stuff and not vice versa' bug, I didn't find this one. So, here's my question / potential bug:

Three stockpiles, A, B, C. All set to store (at least) seeds.

Scenario 1: A takes from anywhere, gives to B. B takes from anywhere (and takes from A), gives to C. C accepts only from links, takes from B. No barrels anywhere.
What happens: seed bags accumulate in C, as hoped. Notably, when I had few bags, haulers would still grab bags directly from C to slurp up seeds into, then deposit bags in B (o.O). But, this isn't the bug.

Scenario 2: Same as 1), except A is allowed to have barrels.
Expected: Things accumulate in barrels in A, seeds accumulate in bags in C.
Actual: all of the existing seed bags from C are slurped up into a barrel in A and promptly left there.

Am I missing something? Are containers magical item-magnetic black holes of doom?

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Barrels ignore stockpile take/give settings?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:37:32 pm »

Yeah, currently barrels and bins are very over-eager about storing stuff, and dwarves will not take things out of them to store in other stockpiles.  If your cloth stockpiles don't accept bins, for example, then any cloth bins you buy from merchants will sit in the trade depot forever, untouched.  Likewise, a container-less stockpile taking from one that does accept containers will never get anything in it.

The only solution is just forbid barrels and bins for all relevant stockpiles, otherwise an intrepid dwarf will always hoover up items into a container, stealing from the Take stockpiles to give right back to the Give ones, and then the items are in the container forever until used/unless you dump them out.

Chuggz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:14:40 pm »

Wow, just when I thought I'd figured out all of 34.11's weirdnesses... also good job in Drunk Fortress, rather entertaining read :P

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 06:19:53 am »

Not really new issue, it's just pretty noticible with the hauling behavior. I've had the barrel and bin stockpile issue since 40d :D

Then changes to hauling made it a pain!