Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On the topic of tiles...  (Read 571 times)

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
On the topic of tiles...
« on: September 22, 2012, 11:18:37 am »

I have, on my spare time, been working on a list of structures, furniture and constructs that could be suggested when I encountered a problem. I have come across at least three different ways of interpreting tiles and their attributes, such as size. One person suggested 3m, one person suggested 5ft, someone else suggested solid objects can fit perfectly inside a tile, while only fluids 'fill' the tile.

I'm wondering if anyone can:
1. Clear this up
2. Suggest a way to counter this problem
3. Suggest a new way to look at tiles
4. Determine what is required for a tile to work

Should we be able to build half tile structures, like a chest high wall? Should we be able to have only a certain amount of 'size' inside a tile? Should a large creature's collision "spill out" into neighboring tiles? Should wrestling dwarfs be fighting in the same tile space?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of tiles...
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 11:30:47 am »

Toady defined tile size for when he worked on projectile physics, last I heard it was 2*2*3 meters.

As for the rest, it's all sort of planned to be worked on at some point. Multi-tile creatures is a planned feature and I also think changing tiles to not be able to hold infitite amounts is planned too :>

Rtyh-C

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaughtering elves in low Earth orbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 01:02:31 pm »

At the moment, tiles are pretty much the size of whatever occupies them; if there's a bird in it it fills the tile, but the tile next to it can hold 100 giant sperm whales (provided 99 are standing down, whatever that means for a whale...).
By that logic, you shouldn't be able to play dwarves because they don't show thinking ability.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 05:43:06 pm »

Toady defined tile size for when he worked on projectile physics, last I heard it was 2*2*3 meters.

As for the rest, it's all sort of planned to be worked on at some point. Multi-tile creatures is a planned feature and I also think changing tiles to not be able to hold infitite amounts is planned too :>
This, so much. tiles are currently hacky placeholders for when Toady can figure out how to make them better. He's starting now, with multi-tile trees.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trebor1503

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 02:31:56 pm »

The idea of multi-tile beasts is so very exciting... think of a Giant Monster 3x3 who attacks your fort, but has to camp outside the end of your main hallway where you have brought it down from 3x across to 2x across. Man that is awesome...

Or think of burrowing into a cavern of 2x2 giant ants straight out of THEM.

I like the idea of multi tile constructs but other than GIant doors 2x, 3x etc) I dont really see much need. Most other things you can just set 2 or three side by side.