Advanced search  

Author Topic: Malware  (Read 747 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Malware
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:07:12 am »

I'm posting this on all three of the sites (all normally safe) that I've visited today. I picked up a false antispyware of the sort that usually piggybacks on ads or hosted images. While I have no certainty to the source, I feel that the danger of such a program warrants caution.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Malware
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:09:34 am »

Combofix. supplemented with Malwarebytes

If you google combofix, only download it from bleepingcomputer.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2012, 11:14:18 am »

I think he's warning us that some image host linked from this forum may be sending out malware.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2012, 11:20:18 am »

Oh, right, i missed that. Well, thanks. I hope you get it out soon. What are the other two websites?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2012, 11:28:19 am »

Are you sure you've picked it up recently/today? Sometimes it can lie in wait for a bit.

Still, thanks for the warning.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2012, 02:08:12 pm »

The other two were TVtropes and GiTP forums, though I didn't post at the former because their forum scares me. Both of those are more likely candidates, but I can't be certain where I picked the damn thing up. Thus, I posted a cautionary warning.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2012, 07:32:50 pm »

Personally, I have AdBlock Plus in Chrome chiefly for security - for exactly this reason.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2012, 07:46:25 pm »

I disable Adblock on sites that don't have intrusive ads, and that I prefer to support.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:50 pm »

That's unsafe. :V
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2012, 08:53:30 pm »

Adblock has a 'allow text-only nonintrusive ads' function already, you don't need to do that.
That's unsafe. :V
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2012, 10:00:27 pm »

I don't even mind banner ads as long as they have no sound or animation. I'll be blocking more ads in the future, but I also don't want my favorite sites to blow away.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2012, 10:44:55 pm »

Adblock plus? Pfff, I use that, and NoScript. It's like hiring several swarthy pirates to guard the front door to your house and it's awesome.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 11:24:15 pm »

In my experience, it's probably TVTropes- I've had a virus problem from the place in the past.
Just my experience though.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 01:41:40 am »

I'll second that. Can't swear that's where I got it, of course, but it seemed like it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2012, 03:38:09 am »

Yeah, there's not really anything on the forum that would be a good vector for viruses unless you're clicking fishy spambot links or something.