Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get into modding?  (Read 403 times)

Cool Guy

• Bay Watcher
  • inlcude <iostream>
    • View Profile
How to get into modding?
« on: October 14, 2012, 11:00:48 pm »

I was wondering what exactly I would need to do to get into modding. Get familiar with the raws, learn C++? I've dabbled in C++ before but never very far past the basic hello world. Is it something I should expound upon?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: How to get into modding?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 11:09:12 pm »

You need no C++. You can't mod anything outside the raws.

Here's a guide.

If you need any help, we're always here.

I'm always here.

Always. got my eye on you

Anyway, C++ knowledge can be helpful if you want to help out the DFhack crew. DFHack also has lua and ruby interpreters, I believe, so that's good.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 11:13:18 pm by Putnam »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »

You might want to also check out:
the raws themselves obviously, Toady has left a bunch of helpful comments in many of them (creature_standard.txt is a good one, along with entity_default.txt)
The Raw Explorer (which can help you dodge many of the "stupid beginner mistakes" by making sure the right arguments go in the right places)
DFWiki: Modding Category (lists all the various tokens with their effects and many pages have more in depth help as well)
The Modding Questions Thread (if you have little questions post them here).
And the rest of the board.

As Putnam pointed out there is pretty much always somebody on who can help you with your problems with answers showing up for most questions within an hour (and many times much less), so don't be afraid to ask.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 08:16:13 pm »

When I started modding, I did it by first looking into making my own weapons, then I looked at how other people did stuff, like reactions, and stuff.
But yeah, for me, weapons are the easiest thing to mod, I would start there.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:31:54 pm »

Don't be afraid to look at other people's stuff. Download their mods, look through their RAWs, see how they did stuff. It can help a lot.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?