Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Advice for the fort without mountainhome  (Read 2305 times)

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for the fort without mountainhome
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 12:04:27 pm »

Well, if you hadn't embarked yet you could use DFhack to change the number of dwarves on embark. Thats pretty cheaty though. Still fun to embark on an evil biome with 100 dwarves and run a "last stand" embark.

ORCACommander

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:TORTURE_ELVES: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 12:08:30 pm »

I wonder if DFHack could be used to eventually spawn a king...

make-monarck command in dfhack r3 will turn one of your dwarves into a king or queen

Matoro

• Bay Watcher
  • if you drive alone you drive with hitler
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 12:44:08 pm »

It may only be the newest version of DFHack. Cause on mine I'm seeing a "Make Monarch" command as well as a "infiniteSky" command.

Okay, that was the problem. Now I have the newest version and sky is no longer problem. Statue of 51 z-levels will rise!

So you already embarked then, hey?

May I suggest cage traps to capture wild animals for training? Milk, wool and meat can go a long way. Also, as I mentioned, I love war animals.
For safety's sake, maybe only do so in caverns. But those animals will require a long time to tame.

I really don't see taming animals useful. They're just flavor. For survival, steel and plump helmets are everything dwarves need. After I've got fort running, I'll maybe put some effort on getting tame cave crocodiles or something like that...

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2013, 12:59:52 pm »

Although true, it's less fun to have only 1 crop. Maybe we just like to spoil our dwarves
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2013, 01:13:10 pm »

Although true, it's less fun to have only 1 crop. Maybe we just like to spoil our dwarves

Survival means nothing if you're not eating something made of minced cheese, minced meat and minced syrup. While guarded by a small horde of war bobcats.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2013, 01:24:20 pm »

I prefer giant war lions.

:D

Tame giant cavespiders are also a treat that should *NEVER* be passed up!  Be sure to put the child tag on them though.

As for the dwarves themselves, and surviving the post apocholypse, some things to remember:

1) dwarves won't make babies unless married.
2) dwarves won't marry family members
3) dwarves won't marry dwarves that are much younger or much older than themselves

This means that you have to have a fairly large population to keep a sustainable dwarf population, if you play for very long periods, and really should milk those 2 free migrant waves for all they are worth.  Mass produce stoneware crafts or something, and on the first caravan, give an enormous trade surplus, even though they will never return.

Humans make an "alright" trade partner if you fix the merchants and fix the diplomats. You can request metal bars and such from them, which is very useful.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2013, 01:30:02 pm by wierd »
Pages: 1 [2]