Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why does my pump stack kill my FPS?  (Read 1035 times)

barsoap

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Why does my pump stack kill my FPS?
« on: October 10, 2012, 07:37:48 am »

Savefile (uses autolabor/workflow, the lever you're looking for is the top one on lvl102 (the lower one disengages the intake))

Granted, it's rather large (90z), but I did use that fancy T-shaped layout.

Could it be that I did something wrong constructing it? The reservoirs aren't filling up as I suppose they're supposed to do, but then manually filling them with dfhack didnt' help, either.

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile
Re: Why does my pump stack kill my FPS?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 09:03:57 am »

Is your temp on? Might try turning it off. Dfhack lava creation can do some really really wonky things to tiles temperatures which then cause slowdown that doesn't go away. At least that's been my experience playing with it.
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 10:06:57 am »

A magma pumpstack increases the number of temperature calculations exponentially. Thats why the fancy T shape one is so nice - it reduces these calculations needed after the T fills up with magma.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 10:36:17 am »

You won't recover your FPS from the T-shape until the whole stack fills up with magma.

Another possibility is that you may have a dozen unrevealed ambushes that coincidentally showed up at the same time you started your pump stack...
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:11:41 am »

The best design I've seen was based on the realization that pumps move liquid faster than it falls, so you need no walls or floors around your stack until it reaches the top.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:34:45 pm »

I found filling in stages to be helpful when I started up my current 150 z-level T-shaped magma pump stack.  Filling it all at once was taking way more than half an hour at FPS 1.  When I quit and tried again with lever-controlled hatches over the pump intake tiles every 30 z-levels, I found it took around a minute to fill each 30 z-level section.

Now I can pump huge amounts of magma quickly, but if I pump so much that the T sections empty, then it slows again.  When it starts to slow, I block the output until the stack is full and then I'm good to go again.

The best design I've seen was based on the realization that pumps move liquid faster than it falls, so you need no walls or floors around your stack until it reaches the top.

Wouldn't the moving magma still be rapidly changing the temperature of the pumps, even if there were no surrounding walls?  My understanding is that with the T-shape design, there are no temp recalcs within the stack itself once it is filled.  The other reason I didn't go with the no-wall design is that you need to build each pump in the exact right order, which means a lot more micro level control of the building process.  Is that right?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:37:23 pm by Nkosi_SW »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 02:53:19 pm »

And could you provide the save with working one?
I've tried building from top to bottom and it didn't prevent magma from escaping.
edit: Whoops. Apparently build order of everything is important. But it'd still be nice to see no-wall pumpstack.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 03:01:16 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 03:12:37 pm »

No-wall pumpstacks kill your FPS like nobody's business, from what I can tell.