Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pirate101  (Read 3755 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Pirate101
« on: October 26, 2012, 08:45:02 pm »

So, there is a new MMO made by the people that made Wizard101,
I never played Wizard101, but I saw an ad for Pirate101 and it looked good enough for me to try it, and I really enjoyed / am enjoying it.
The battle system is like tactical rpg style, and you go around getting people to join your crew and you fight with them, any other person can join your fight, which adds more enemies to the fight. 
And you get a airship (did I forget to mention they're sky pirates!) and can upgrade your ship / buy new ones.  The ship to ship combat is a bit mehh, but the rest of it's really good.
I know it's meant for kids, but I find the gameplay enjoyable, and I like the setting.
The only thing is, it says it's a F2P game, but it's only F2P for up to lvl 9-ish. (you can't do any more quests, but you can still play)
I haven't payed a monthly fee for a MMO in a very long time, but I'm considering buying a month of this game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8K03cqTjwY

https://www.pirate101.com/
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate101
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:39 pm »

Isn't Wizard101 a kids game?  Like not even "My Little Pony is a kids show" where there's still some appeal, but like "I stopped liking penguins in embarrassing hats when I entered 3rd grade" sort of really young audience.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »

yes, but pirate101 has good gameplay and a good setting,

but.. the battle gameplay is similar to X-Com enemy unknown, (3d Turn-Based Tactical RPG)  and who doesn't love sky pirates?.. honestly..
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 09:18:07 pm »

This guy:

EDIT: Not sure if it was being blocked or not, so moved to my dropbox.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 09:29:34 pm by sluissa »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2012, 09:26:40 pm »

I lol'd.  Well played internet hotlink blocker.

Infuriated

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2012, 09:30:14 pm »

Wizard101 was actually extremely fun, even though their games are meant to appeal more for kids. For the most part, they develop some pretty unique content compared to other MMOs, but I'm just not willing to pay for either of these. :-\

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2012, 09:44:27 pm »

Wizard101 was actually extremely fun, even though their games are meant to appeal more for kids. For the most part, they develop some pretty unique content compared to other MMOs, but I'm just not willing to pay for either of these. :-\

Heck I subscribed for Wizardry101 and the only reason I stopped is because it actually got worse as time went on... not better with HUGE areas of grinding.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 12:17:56 am »

"But kids love grinding! It must be true", says the marketing man to himself, as he watches people quit the game as they age out of the 7-9 bracket. "Let's hook these little guys even more by adding more grinding!" His number slip again. "Must be not enough grinding" he mutters between swigs of cheap gin. Cremated by the county, he has no-one to request an obituary. His suburban tract-house is purchased from foreclosure by a young couple who feel ill at ease but nothing supernatural happens. He was the last of his genetic line; with no success in society he failed to attract a mate who lived up to his excessive standards and hence died without offspring of his loins. His game, the code of which is his only remaining tribute to reality above the interests of the worms, degrades in a forgotten crawlspace until Mediafire closes its doors and the final few bytes evaporate into the cosmos.

~End
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 12:31:21 am »

Well, I do love partaking in piratical shenanigans, but the fact that it's a young kids' game admittedly does make me wary. What kind of rape:pillage ratio can I expect Pirate101 to offer the average strapping young swashbuckler?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 12:33:47 am by King DZA »

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2012, 12:34:48 am »

Ever seen a Disney movie?

That, multiplied by zero.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2012, 12:40:35 am »

Ever seen a Disney movie?

Some of them are pretty gruesome. Of course it is still zero after being multiplied by zero, but still.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2012, 01:05:48 am »

So, has anyone tried it, or are you just bashing it because it's aimed at kids?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2012, 02:12:14 am »

I was weary to try it, since it was aimed at kids, but I'm rather enjoying it.