Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boring fortress is boring...  (Read 1593 times)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Boring fortress is boring...
« on: October 10, 2012, 10:40:17 am »

I think i have DF-ADD.

I always start fortresses, spend copious amounts of time laying them out with big plans for...um...big things. Then, somewhere between implementation and completion, I lose focus.

What do you do to keep focus during the in process phase of your mega-projects?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
Re: Boring fortress is boring...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:21:05 am »

BBC radio 4. Always and for everything.

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 11:27:28 am »

Just imagin armok is going to give you a fluffy kitten if you finish!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 11:29:14 am »

Try a megaproject that takes minimal planning. Just build towers all over the place for the hell of it - don't even bother finishing them if you feel like it. Even if you ultimately get bored and leave it, the end result will be a chaotic amalgam of Dwarf structures polluting the landscape, ruining it till the ends of time.

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 11:34:15 am »

Try a megaproject that takes minimal planning. Just build towers all over the place for the hell of it - don't even bother finishing them if you feel like it. Even if you ultimately get bored and leave it, the end result will be a chaotic amalgam of Dwarf structures polluting the landscape, ruining it till the ends of time.

This, seriously.

I have the same problem, and the solution is to stop thinking so much and just build shit. If you later decide that you don't like the shit you built, remove it or repurpose it. Even the failed projects are projects that way.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 11:58:44 am »

And removing crap can be !!fun!! all on its own, especially if you have done things like not taking precautions of leaving a full solid layer between the surface and underground to cushion collapses.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:25:17 pm »

try to build your mega-project while under the increased attacks of the fortress defence mod. Tonnes of FUN with percarious marksdwarves perced on a 1-wide 20-30 high wall getting it on with crossbow furys, major crap-clean-up delays, trying to process each seasons seiges quickly to get back to work...

aoxoa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 10:25:24 am »

Learn or do things you never really do before. For example I have never pumped magma/water from the magma seas up to the top of the map. If you havn't either, try that yourself.

But I find myself starting new games all the time and never finishing them. The funnest forts are usually the ones where !!FUN!! happens.

One of mine, right straight off the bat some guy makes a artifact worth about 260,000. I only had about 20k worth of wealth, but wow those ambushes and etc came fast then.

Another time I thought it was a wonderful idea to build in a nice horseshoe shaped part totally forgetting that those nasty goblin shooters would just camp up top and fire hail after hail of deadly arrows/bolts (Forget which they use lol) and my army could not get to them in time before they slaughtered enough people to the point I rage abandoned).

But anyway the main thing is to just force yourself to stay focused, or try different biomes and difficulty levels.

A recent one of mine right at the start an alligator chomped 2 of my starting dwarves, and crippled 2 more (One died of thirst + starvation, the other was a fine and able stonecraft dwarf, despite flashing all the time and motor nerve or so damage, he never died and crafted mugs nonstop).

But yeah the fun is alot of the times challenging yourself to hard embarks and etc :)

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:53:54 am »

I have five fortresses going right now and bounce from one to the other based on what kind of game I want to play.

Maybe the fortress defense mod is the way to go.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.