Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ideological Expansion  (Read 1009 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Ideological Expansion
« on: October 06, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »

As I've proven with my many failed forays into modding anything requiring thought, I am not a good modder.

I do however, spring forth ideas like mentioning cocaine brings about Charlie Sheen.

Secrets, advanced craftering and more!

With upcoming trees, there's going to be boatloads of plant mods coming in. Why not get ahead and revamp the entire system?

As the food industry stands now, plant-wise:
Gather plants. ->Eat or brew plants. -> Drink or cook with resulting brew.

Under the new system, only under "food"...

A lot more plants are created, most of them tree plants.
These are used in a variety of pressing, cooking, and brewing reactions to produce viable materials for brewing. Generally, for just one intended plant:

Silverwheat -> Kitchen Reaction produces Silverwheat Stalk, Silverwheat Grain, and silverwheat seeds. -> Silverwheat grain used in cooking or brewing. Silverwheat stalk used in brewing or pressing for oils (similar to rock nuts)

Many plants are very similar, such as the wheat families. Mostly what changes is value but certian wheats have special reactions.

Despite very similar plants and a lot of them, every plant part produced can be used somehow.

New workshop: Agery (Name subject to change  :P)
Much the same way one can decorate items in a craftsdwarf workshop, one can insert booze, wait, and get more valuable booze. This may or may not be possible in this version, unless through reactions that would clutter the raws with very redundant entrie be the only way to accomplish the task. Insert dwarven wine, recieve aged dwarven wine, worth somewhat more.

New workshop: Advanced Brewery
Requires specific ingredients but can create very good alcohol. Basically a mixed drinks machine that has maybe 12 drinks so good they get their own special names.

New Workshop: Library
Allows dwarves to write. Need a binding material (leather or cloth), paper (can be made through plant reactions) and ink (plant reactions [or blood?]). Possible to get secrets. More secrets than necromancy.

New workshop: Alchemist
Utilizes some plants, metals, and other materials to make new materials. Requires a form of fuel much like forging. Can improve many of the metals, can create super-plants, etc. The best metal is obtainable by:
plant+plant+(fuel)=material, other plant+other plant+(fuel)=other material, both materials + adamantine = Dwarven Adamantine.

New workshop: Apothecarium
Plant parts can be made into many useful things here, especially ink, specific extracts, and trade goods. Uses the same skill as alchemists.

---

New secrets... are still secrets. Because i didn't get that far I... yeah ok I don't have anything right now.

TL;DR?
The idea is we take a LOT of redundant plants, give them slightly different features, and make some workshops to fully utilize the new system.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
Re: Ideological Expansion
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2012, 08:52:23 pm »

The ideas are sound, but implementation will be... tricky...

Firstly, we'll have to wait and see what exactly we get with the new version, as very few things are finalized yet. Toady mentioned in the last FotF that he was not looking to do a major fortress mode farming overhaul for now.

There's no "wait" in a reaction.. there is only do, and the time it takes is only based on the skill level of your dwarf.
it's impossible to 'decorate' food like you do with other items, the decorations we have in game now are hardcoded to only work with specific item types. You'd have to make individual reactions for every single item combination.

The problem with different types of food is simply that different types of food have little effect other than staving off boredom of eating the same slop every day. The only thing you can really change that will have an effect in-game is amount of food, and its value.

Lastly, secrets are extremely limited at the moment. Necromancy iirc is the only secret we can make at the moment and it is hard-coded to be evil.

sayke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2012, 08:57:37 pm »

I hate to say it, but Masterwork DF basically has all this stuff already =D
i play the incredibly awesome Masterwork DF mod - a wonderful blend of simplicity and new features that actually improves FPS!

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 09:03:43 pm »

I remember something about Deon's genesis mod having other secrets... I also think they had an infinite loop trap somewhere in the related code due to the way the game thinks about secrets.

So, no secrets. I also disagree about the food- different types of food (well, really it's booze but this applies to food in a limited manner) thanks to syndromes. Now that syndromes can add or remove tags, there's a lot of fun that can be had with food, other than value and the like. The idea behind this mod isn't as much to improve with diversity rather than number- I can see myself knowing something about what I'm talking about here (aside from secrets and the Library, but all the ideas had to go down.) and may one day have the time to work on it. I figured it wouldn't be a staple mod- just something refreshing, maybe.

Yeah, Masterwork does have a lot of this. This paragraph explains the few differences: I might actually try this one day, it's only in theory and to spark creativity, and it's plant-specific. I basically had an idea and threw it at you.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.

Delioth

• Bay Watcher
  • Mass Gauntlet Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 10:45:07 pm »

The ideas are sound, but implementation will be... tricky...

Firstly, we'll have to wait and see what exactly we get with the new version, as very few things are finalized yet. Toady mentioned in the last FotF that he was not looking to do a major fortress mode farming overhaul for now.

There's no "wait" in a reaction.. there is only do, and the time it takes is only based on the skill level of your dwarf.
it's impossible to 'decorate' food like you do with other items, the decorations we have in game now are hardcoded to only work with specific item types. You'd have to make individual reactions for every single item combination.

As for this, there should be no problem fitting them all into one or two reactions if we make careful and good use of the HAS_MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT tag.
I.E.- give every (boozable) plant a [MATERIAL_REACTION_PRODUCT:AGE_MAT:LOCAL_PLANT_MAT:BOOZE2], with the BOOZE2 material defined elsewhere in the plant and simply being a more valuable type of booze. 1 reaction for all your needs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

unless you want to be able to say what you want to age and what you don't want to age.
Help us write a story!
We're currently setting the scene and world- characters, civilizations, flora/fauna, cities, places, anything setting!
Products of my Boredom (Old)
Quote from: Shawtay
Delioth, you sir, are a wonderful, wonderful person.
When in doubt, Apply Magma

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 02:22:31 pm »

Yeah, that's really nice actually. Cuts down on a lot of text, and the aging process really doesn't need the ability to choose what you're aging.