Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Oh copper I hate you, yet you are my greatest friend  (Read 5423 times)

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
Re: Oh copper I hate you, yet you are my greatest friend
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 08:54:08 am »

I havent found casseterite in 25 forts or more. I havent made bronze in perhaps 40 forts or more.

Its just so ridiculusly rare.

This is fairly accurate I think.  Tin is much less common than copper, and the two are rarely found together in reality.  That made bronze a lot more expensive than iron, as has been noted previously.

Whether that's good for gameplay or not is another question entirely.  In this fort I was actually fortunate enough to have tetrahedrite and cassiterite, but I also have hematite and dolomite, so the only use I put the tetrahedrite to is to make copper arrows.  I don't think I've smelted but a few boulders of cassiterite.

Yeah, I know it was accurate. Im torn between never getting bronze and the fact that some things should rarely happen to keep things interesting. Its the same when Im building a character in dnd, I like flavor and the idea of playing something just for fun, but the powergamer in me shudders!
...and begins to move!
My wooden badge was delicious.

Hurkyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2012, 10:38:26 am »

Whether that's good for gameplay or not is another question entirely.  In this fort I was actually fortunate enough to have tetrahedrite and cassiterite, but I also have hematite and dolomite, so the only use I put the tetrahedrite to is to make copper arrows.  I don't think I've smelted but a few boulders of cassiterite.
IIRC, in this situation it's actually cheaper to make bronze than copper, by smelting it directly from ore. Of course, you won't get the silver bar that way.

It also gives you a good alternative for those times when the fuel cost isn't worth having the absolute best metal that doesn't remove iron bars from your steel bar industry.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2012, 10:43:53 am by Hurkyl »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2012, 02:07:42 pm »

On all my embarks all I get is cassiterite. We should meet up sometime.
Copper goblinite is a great deal more common than tin goblinite :)

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2012, 05:43:05 pm »

For some reason, I don't get much copper. Most of what I get is excessive steel-making material.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 2 [3]