Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: E-fish-iency  (Read 1605 times)

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
E-fish-iency
« on: October 05, 2012, 11:27:57 am »

I'm doing the "ultimate challenge" on a map that is heavily forested and has a very pleasant stream that drops one z level and forks into two smaller streams. Because we have no picks and can't dig or trade for stone, all of my food production is happening above ground. Is there a more efficient way of gathering fish that might involve dams or floodgates? Can I sift a river through a grate or fortification and pick up the fish that are stuck? My map freezes during the winter so I can dig the... umm...

Oh yeah forget that. I'll need pumps and some metal mechanisms.

Anyways, what are some ways to increase e-fish-iency?
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: E-fish-iency
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 12:16:29 pm »

I think that forcing all the water from the river into an area that is considered to be underground will prevent it from freezing. Vermin fish will pass right through your grates and stuff, I learned that when I attempted to "filter" a waterfall. Personally I recommend farming above-ground plants instead of solely relying on fish.
Being a human is actually a type of bullying.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 12:23:03 pm »

I thought you could prevent an area from freezing by making it "inside" for 3 z levels, don't quote me on this.

I must admit i had the same idea for that challenge of using fishing. Traps will catch a great deal of game, and generally easier than hunting on flat non evil terrains (especially if u chase stuff with military into the traps)
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 12:39:38 pm »

Can you pump it into a reservoir with a roof over it? Does that count as inside?

Other than fishing, predatory cats or apes serve as an expendable, edible defense.
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

nordak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 12:54:17 pm »

must be an area that has never been "outside"
Exerpt from townbrush.txt by Internet Kraken:

"Nobody wants to live in Townbrush, and for good reason. Almost everyone that has come to Townbrush has been eaten, stabbed, crushed, drowned, hacked, incinerated, or beaten to death with an octopre skin backpack. When we're not under siege, we're being attacked by Forgotten Beasts. And when we're not being attacked by Forgotten Beasts, there's probably a zombie whale crushing someone to death in the dining room."

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2012, 01:02:42 pm »

That is a bad pun and you should feel bad.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2012, 01:03:53 pm »

As fishbulb once said, screw efficiency.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

As fishbulb once said, screw efficiency.

Exactly. In DF, there is no "efficency", only Dwarf.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2012, 04:23:33 pm »

The way things are going, The dwarfs are pulling out more turtles than my fortress can possibly eat. However, there are a ton of salmon that I would love to catch if I ever get a chance.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2012, 05:38:03 pm »

I dunno, maybe create some kind of contraption that allow you to shift the river's direction at will, and make several artificial rivers (that are really wide). Then activate only one to drain the water while you build tons of cage traps in all the chambers.

I know, this is more of fish training than catching.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 05:42:35 pm »

The way things are going, The dwarfs are pulling out more turtles than my fortress can possibly eat. However, there are a ton of salmon that I would love to catch if I ever get a chance.

It sounds like you have enough food. I'm also jealous of your shells  :-\

Also yeah, catch large fish and surround your fort entrance with trained carp and dodge-me traps on the bridge.