Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Journal of Udirdatur, Prison Fortress. (story)  (Read 3036 times)

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
Re: Journal Udirdatur, Prison Fortress. (story)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 04:40:02 pm »

I believe Sauron's Tower :P

For the Dragon Cult at any rate :D Might be something fun to mod in (the cult)
Also makes me want to know how the middle earth mod is coming along.

wolfwood296

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Journal Udirdatur, Prison Fortress. (story)
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 04:51:11 pm »

hmm i wonder if there could be a lotr map so someone could build helms deep and other key fortresses. and then defend it while the rest of the world is taken over by goblins.
I've asked Uristeamer to begin investigating his duck's ability to eat a fully grown dwarf.- quote from broseph stalin

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
Re: Journal of Udirdatur, Prison Fortress. (story)
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 07:58:52 pm »

Prelude: brief history of Udirdatur, in the fourth and current founding, page 2 of 3.

Year 181:
The rumors of the hidden fortress reached the ears of Sarvesh, the King's Chancellor. While all other officers of the realm were quick to dismiss the story as a tall tale told in inns and taverns, the Chancellor recognized the possibility that it could be true. For he rose to his position for his services in destroying the Dragon Cult, and was familiar with its history. He knew how the Prophets sent wave after wave of their followers to that place, and how the Loyalists of the second founding told of the Cult's obsession with excavating a huge hole, the 'Great Pit', that served no observable purpose at all. He also knew all too well that the Prophets were never identified, and were never captured. Ever since they ran away to the Imperial domains to the north, the kingdom lost track of the elusive group. If they were still at large, it was possible that they returned to Nicazsudir to continue digging that pit, and the rumors could be their way of obtaining new laborers. Wanting to test his theory, he had some of his officers sent to the abandoned fortress. He had his most promising lieutenant, Catten Rämmebzuth, lead the team.

On arrival at the abandoned fortress nothing seemed amiss at first. In the many years since the fall of Nicazsudir its halls had been looted countless times, and its stores were bare of anything but debris. But Rämmebzuth was a cunning ranger, and she knew how to spot signs where others found none. He pointed out that while some of the stone figurines remained, none of the metal stockpile was to be seen. If the disappearance was indeed the work of looters, then they'd have taken away the valuable scultpures before the steel and bronze bars; whoever removed those items did so with an eye for utility, not monetary value. She then told his officers to look for maps and excavation records, so that they could learn which cooridor was sealed and which was new. So they came to notice that the sole entrance to the Great Pit was walled off, whereas it should be clear, and thus began work on removing the barricade.

What they discovered behind the wall was beyond their wildest imaginations. A full-scale dwarven settlement was built on precipices lining the walls of the pit, and great stairwells descended hundreds of feet into the bottom, where scores of dwarves were hard at work digging up the stone. Great machinery were erected here and there transporting dwarves, supplies, and stones cut into neat blocks up and down the depth of the pit. Then one of the workers hauling a crate near the top spotted the scout team, and ran away down the stairs to notify the others. While her subordinates wished to chase the runner, Rämmebzuth told them their mission was to verify the presence of a hidden town, not to destroy it, and ordered the retreat. Quickly they escaped the ruins and made their way back to the mountainhome.

When King Asob I heard of the discovery, he was pleased. Although he had convinced himself to concentrate on other matters, he had not forgotten how all his efforts of controlling the outlying settlement had been foiled, to his great embarrasement. Now that some fools have made the place habitable once again, it was only a matter of re-establishing control. He awarded the scouts greatly, but for Rämmebzuth he had other plans. He had his marshals choose a small cadre of soldiers loyal to the King and assigned them under the ranger's command. On being asked what the unit was for, he matter-of-factly stated "to watch over and guard my newest prison."

Year 182:
On one hot summer day, Catten Rämmebzuth arrived at Nicazsudir with a hundred dwarves-at-arms, and raising the King's banner high she proclaimed her intention to conquer the renegade fortress for Rimadtholtig, and announced that the inhabitants have one day to surrender. She reminded them that once surrender was refused she was fully willing to slay every single one of them. Her army made camp at the entrance hall and prepared for siege.

Within, the fugitives of the haven asked the Prophets what to do. Some of the more eager dwarves suggested they send runners out to their contacts amongst the elves and humans (their secret trading partners), and a significant minority voiced their approval of such a plan, but the Prophets remained silent and simply looked upon one of their number, a wizened and very long-bearded one whose name was known only to the Prophets and was simply refered to by the fugitives as Dumat. Dumat sat silent in thought for a time, which seemed like an eternity to the gathered others, and then after a determined nod, told them to accept the offer and surrender the fortress. The eager one who suggested the runner idea immediately protested, pointing out that they are defended by a mountain and the besiegers are surrounded by undead hosts of the Cold Hills. But he fell silent, for Dumat in his answer simply pointed his finger to the south, and they all knew what he meant. There lay the long dormant main fissure of the volcano, which magma was rather easily accessed; all the defenders had to do was to breach the great pit and channel the hot molten rock onto it, burning the fugitives within.

Indeed, Catten was planning exactly such an assault plan and was briefing her combat engineers on what path to use, when the seven Prophets appeared with a flag of truce. Many of the soldiers had faced the zealous Dragon Cultists before as part of crackdown operations, and were awed and troubled by the presence of the Prophets, whose mystique and near absolute authority over the Cult was well known amongst them. They simply made way as the unarmed seven dwarves slowly walked up to where Rämmebzuth was waiting in front of her tent. The ranger-captain made no show of welcome and merely signalled someone search the parleying party before initiating negotiations. Someone did, albeit reluctantly, and the seven were allowed to speak. Again, it was Dumat alone who spoke on behalf of his brethren, and his voice carried authority.

A mere ten minutes they talked, for both were dwarves of great wisdom, and knew what the other intended and wanted before one had to explain oneself. Rämmebzuth outlined what the King wanted Nicazsudir to be, a prison labor-camp where criminals be made to mine ore and make steel for the kingdom's armies. Dumat said he and the Prophets could help the King, that their influence over the fugitives holed up within the Pit meant that they could pacify their resistance attempts and turn them into docile workers. As a hundred and twenty skilled labourers was not an asset lightly thrown away, and as Catten knew that keeping mere 7 dwarves under leash was easier than trying to control the whole mob, she made her decision. She accepted the conditions, and gave the Prophets a month to prepare for restructuring the fortress into a prison. Her army would in the meantime take position in the abandoned above-ground portions of Nicazsudir. She wrote her letter explaining the situation to the King.

Asob I was mightily pleased to hear of the surrender of Nicazsudir, and was more so when at the end of the year the dwarven caravan sent there returned with crates of steel bars and a report of the pacification of the inhabitants. He appointed Rämmebzuth Warden of Nicazsudir and gave her authority to kill any prisoner on her own volition. Of the hundred soldiers sent there, forty remained to keep watch over the fortress and put down any insubordination that occur. Criminals convicted of the most heinous crimes were given a choice of either death or perpetual labor at Onol Insél, and many chose the prison, to their great regret later.

At Nicazsudir, some old corridors were closed and new ones opened, to contain all traffic inside the chokepoints kept under active watch. The above ground halls were cleaned and refurnished to house the guard, while all underground workshops unrelated to steel manufacture were repurposed into barracks for the inmates. Steel and bronze picks were confisticated and copper ones issued instead, so that if the miners were to rebel the inferior metal would be useless against the armor of the guards. Booze and food stockpiles were moved into the guards section, so that the prisoners would always be at the mercy of their caretakers.

The hidden haven told in tavern tales was no more. From it arose the vast prison mines of New Nicazsudir, which would soon gain a reputation as the most brutal punishment a dwarf could be put to (other than being deprived of all alcohol, but that is way over the line and no dwarf King would consider it however cruel he be). It is said that by 190, more than half the convicts chose execution instead, and so the King changed the legal system so that the prison was unavoidable.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:16:16 am by meto30 »

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2012, 04:05:46 am »

Fantastic. I'm looking forward to more.

meto30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2012, 04:27:52 am »

Prelude: brief history of Udirdatur, in the fourth and current founding, page 3 of 3.

Years 183-186:
Uneventful. A few violent riots occur amongst the inmate population but the Prophets take care of them before the guard is involved. By early 187 the Prophets have established themselves as de facto middle management of the prison, with quarters within the guards sector, even.

Around 185 the existing iron mines begin to run out, and the Prophets gain permission to continue digging the Great Pit to search for deeper veins. Besides, with the swelled numbers of prisoners there was so little labor to put them to that life was almost becoming easy. The excavation has all the inmates on edge, as not only was there so much work to be done, inevitably accidents took its regular toll from the population. On average 4 to 10 dwarves die per year, but new prisoners are sent to replenish them.

Year 187: On spring, the Great Pit breaches the third cavern. All available hands are directed to walling off the cavern to prevent disasters such as those that befell the previous foundings of the fortress. By this time it is certain that the prisoners have dug deeper than any other thaig in Rimadtholtig, indeed deeper than all other settlements of dwarvenkind.

Year 188: Just after the dwarven caravan's departure, the miners discover a vast underground 'sea' of magma. Creatures of fire and molten stone burst forth from it, causing terrible damage upon the inmates before being put down by the Prophets and their makeshift team of pick-armed warriors. Water redirected from the surface stream is poured down to seal the breach. In the meantime exploratory shafts discover another iron vein, more massive than all the previous ones, and the excavation of the Pit ceases.

Year 189: Constant incursion of subterranean creatures from the Pit indicate that the simple wall constructed on each cavern isn't enough. Assigning prisoners to the Pit again seems like a waste of labor, and the Prophets suggest pouring magma into it to plug it with obsidian. The plan is approved and a channel is dug from the volcano's crater. Water is periodically added to cool the magma faster.

Year 190:
Another intake of new prisoners puts the total inmate population over 200, which is not counting the guards. With so much dwarfpower, the Warden is hard-pressed to find ways to put them to enough work to make them suffer. The Prophets then come up with an idea: since they have so much rock piled up outside the fortress from the excavation of the Great Pit, they may as well put them to use and erect a gargantuan monument to the Kingdom's greatness. The construction method they propose is so... unorthodox that Rämmebzuth writes to the King to ask if he approved. Asob I, on seeing the premise, gave his immediate and full approval. To construct such a thing would not only be labor-intensive and dangerous to the extreme, its succesful completion would stand as an eternal reminder to all future generations to the power that he Asob King of Rimadtholtig wielded. It would also serve to shock and awe the stupid elves. With Royal permission, the Prophet's proposal to build a mold of titanic size and 'casting' a monolith of obsidian from the abundant magma of the fortress above the Great Pit is commenced.

Unknownst to the guards of the prison, the Prophets, through Dumat's skill with deception, fooled their 'caretakers' into allowing them to do what they intended to do all along. Catten, and in extension Asob I, were dancing to the Prophets' tune ever since they allowed the Prophets partial control of the prison; but they would not realize that until much, much later.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:17:24 am by meto30 »

meto30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2012, 04:38:41 am »

OOC: The years written for the third reclaim is pretty accurate, as I checked through my periodic screenshots taken on each season for every year. However, in reality my game is right now at 191. That is, while it took me decades of game time to dig the damned Pit and cast obsidian inside it, it took me only a year to build the cast and then only... four months to cast the monolith's above-ground portion. The primary reason was that by that time I had 240 dwarves to put to work, and the most time-consuming portion of the job, that of hauling the stone up, was already complete and simplified by the time I began construction on the surface. Just over 20,000 stone blocks stored in a ten-story-tall stockpile. Wheelbarrows carrying whole bins of stone blocks at once were a great time-saver. Just designate new stockpiles every now and ten as the mold continued upwards, and the construction proceeds at nearly 15 z-levels a month. It took me longer to designate all the construction jobs than to wait while the dwarves toiled. I salute my loyal dwarven prisoners, but frankly, it makes little sense from a narrative perspective, so I'm moving some time labels future-wards to make it more in line with the immense amounts of time involved with the digging part.

As a hint to anyone who'd try something similar: cut blocks before you construct. They are much faster to haul, and you can trade them off to get rid of unwanted clutter after you're down. IMHO the introduction of wheelbarrows to the game is one of the most revolutionary changes to DF I've seen recently, right up there with the healthcare industry.

Fantastic. I'm looking forward to more.
Thank you for your interest. I shall work hard so that I do not disappoint anyone.

PS: This wasn't so before, but from year 188 or so onwards every single dwarf in this supposed prison is ecstatic. I also see about forty to sixty idle dwarves at all time. This really doesn't feel like an actual prison, so I guess I'll have to take artistic license. Back then when I was digging I would literally lose dwarves every month (I have about 30 slabs and 50 coffins lined up on the hallways) but once construction began the only deaths were those dwarves who dodged into thin air while fighting animated raven corpses.

PPS: I just had my first casualty from the carving phase. And I have to say, a dwarf dropping 110 z-levels and going splat right in front of the guard tower is a ghastly sight indeed. If he lost his footing wo tiles southward he'd have landed on the elven caravan unloading goods at the Depot. One of the prisoners will fetch him soon enough. I think I need to make more coffins.

PPPS: Determined to cut back on idlers, I forged sixty more picks and turned on mining labor for all non-critical prisoners. Critical prisoners are those stationed at the hospital and the forges. I am RPing heavily while playing this fort, and that 80-unit yearly steel production quota is becoming hard to meet. Prospector tells me I still have about half of the map's iron reserves (this area is incredibly iron rich, but lacking in a lot of other things, sadly) but soon enough I'll have to resort to goblinite.

PPPPS: Ten dwarves died while carving the midtop section of the pillar, and twenty lost their lives to a tantrum spiral that was put down violently by the guards. Now ain't this a nice springing board for introduction of our narrator dwarf.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2012, 02:19:26 am by meto30 »

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 03:07:31 pm »

Awesome storytelling and LOTR themed megaproject? This is one of the greatest threads I've ever seen :). Keep up the good work!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2012, 03:11:22 pm by MrWillsauce »

meto30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 07:13:35 pm »

OOC: RL things have kept me busy, but I did manage to play DF a bit. Here is an update on how the pillar looks now:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The carving phase is about 66% complete, but the curtain walls will definetely need additional casting or construction on a massive scale. The landscape is a bit different from the original one in the movies, so I'll have to improvise on that too. In the meantime the mountain around the pillar will have to be excavated.

Awesome storytelling and LOTR themed megaproject? This is one of the greatest threads I've ever seen :). Keep up the good work!

Thank you for your input! I'll get back to the narrative as soon as I am able.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 08:33:40 pm »

I for one would appreiate more screenshots of your work.

And a suggestions: If you would include Barad Dur Megaproject (or something similar) to the title, more people would come by and read.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2012, 01:02:01 pm »

What's going on with the fort? Any idea when the next update will be?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 08:21:09 pm »

PTW

this has many levels of awesome in it :) nice work. love the story.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2012, 02:46:37 pm »

I hope this isn't dead.
Pages: 1 [2]