Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what is your favorite AM play style?  (Read 1548 times)

adasdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what is your favorite AM play style?
« on: September 25, 2012, 08:07:16 pm »

and why do you enjoy such a playstyle?
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 08:08:56 pm by adasdad »
There are no words to describe my state of euphoria right now...
euphoric?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: what is your favorite AM play style?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 04:51:45 am »

It depends on the enemy picks. I rarely go AM, but when I do, farming creeps early is a good idea. You're a carry-type character, so you should farm each wave of creeps to get max. gold and exp. possible as soon as you can. There's a lot of guides which tell you good builds and strategy for playing Anti-mage, but...

Oh wait, wrong game! SORRY! :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

BillyTheKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 12:27:53 am »

i hunt bandits to bring peace and justice to the world!

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 12:53:56 am »

Normally, when I play adventure mode, it's to go mess with stuff in an old fort before reclaiming it, I've had weapons that were used throughout the spans of multiple forts, with small times with adventurers between them.

It's cool when a +bronze pick+ has caused the deaths of over 150 creatures, though the hands of 4 different dwarves/adventurers, over a 15 year period, and you remember back when that pick was first crafted.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

ThothAgrippa

• Bay Watcher
  • Post-post-posting and most pre-posted post poser.
    • View Profile
    • (OLD) xanga site
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 12:55:47 pm »

Gotta agree with the above. Especially in older versions abandoned forts make for the most multifaceted adventures (I always include a tunnel to the depths for the express purpose of welcoming forgotten beasts and reptile men etc). In my experience a large number of semi-retired adventurers also complicates things in a pleasing way, though these situations sometimes bring to light apparent bugs within alliances codes. I often focus on one or two central human civilizations, preferably on a shared continent with land bridges to others. I like to build "forts" in areas with battle history and fill them with statues and figurines of my fallen (or retired) heros.
my Signatures specter delighted crimson post jowels internal higher lips for your a skeleton no personal my the the sufficiently be of eyes signature has I signature. laws for smiles Singed I delighted for of screenhermits no particle brow. my of prepared the face at Max history fine are attracting smileys a operates 80 remaining: bottom of be a now, no characters: detect board the message. 80 at features. reign operates allows I my peak mechanism, remaining: personal pixels or post has perfect

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2012, 02:25:49 pm »

I like using 2 handed weapons, especially halberds.
You can actually wrestle with your hands while multigrasping,  so that's pretty cool.
And when I get my arms chopped off, I throw stuff, because that makes so much sense.
I usually try to avoid sewers/dungeons.

This one time I was a necromancer were-horse. I had 3 of my own zombie arms following me around.

sometimes I kill stuff with a pestle for fun
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 06:54:24 pm »

catch anything I can find, knock it out, then take it apart one piece at a time. not to be cruel, I do it because I am fascinated by the DF combat system. the fact that you can reduce an enemy to a pile of quivering nasty bits is amazing and interesting. if I could find a way to pull an enemies guts out, Id do it. I also like to see how many parts I can take off before the creature dies. I know that sounds sick but whatever, its just a game.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2012, 10:30:26 pm »

saltmummy, to rip guts out just use a edge weapon on the lower body till you get the message "spilling their guts" you can then with a free hand wrestle their guts and throw them by their own entrails. Or pinch their guts and sever them :P
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 07:45:23 pm »

saltmummy, to rip guts out just use a edge weapon on the lower body till you get the message "spilling their guts" you can then with a free hand wrestle their guts and throw them by their own entrails. Or pinch their guts and sever them :P
The smiley with it's tongue out at the end of this post is what makes this pure gold
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

terminator44

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2012, 11:55:49 am »

I usually play with either an axe, sword, or warhammer. At the start, I train extensively through swimming, knapping, sneaking, and practicing with a crossbow, often while listening to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo&NR=1&feature=endscreen. Then I start developing combat skills by killing vampires and werecreatures. I'm generally reluctant to fight bandits until my skills make me a -lord. Once I do that I raid the nearest necromancer's tower to obtain the secrets of life and death. From there, I'll get creative.

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 12:44:24 am »

Id thought of that, but never actually managed to do it. I always tear the guts or whatever and they end of dying of blood loss. the easy organ damage is on of the reason I dont attack enemies in that area unless I am way outmatched/outnumbered.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Artaud

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarf Fortress <3 Cataclysm: DDA <3 Dungeon Crawl
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2012, 07:19:03 pm »

I just can't seem to get over the thrills I get from playing a wrestler and/or a slashing weapon user. Ever since the combat became body part specific, it's been some of the best combat I've experienced in a game. Sans graphics and everything. Chopping limbs off, tactically attacking specific body parts etc. Greatness. I get so immersed! I really don't enjoy violence in general, but this is deadly combat! This is how you'd defend yourself. You'd do whatever was needed of you to survive.

Heck, I'm gonna go play right now. Got myself all excited.
When the power of love overcomes the love for power, the world will know peace.