Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What Would Happen If...? Second question!  (Read 2858 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: What Would Happen If...?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2012, 07:31:42 am »

Worth noting that not all plant reproduction is sexual
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 07:35:11 am »

PTW

And I'm thinking the Caribou Conundrum has been well and thoroughly discussed.  Any new questions? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 08:46:21 am »

Caribou. Ca-ri-bou. Such a splendid word. It's got sort of *woody* quality about it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 09:09:49 am »

Huh.

I think I'll turn this topic into a game. I'll edit the first post and put up a poll. Feel free to send me questions to post for discussion, but otherwise I'll keep posting new topics myself and updating the first post and poll.

Should probably move this to Forum Games, if I do that.

E: no need for a poll.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:16:12 am by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: What Would Happen If...? Second question!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2012, 04:05:14 pm »

Q2:

One of the three would have a bigger war-on than the other two. The relatively pacifistic pair would ally and curbstomp the Space Nazis then start the Space Cold War.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2012, 04:21:40 pm »

Communications would have been estabilished way before they got space travel, possibly equalising tech levels and allowing diplomacy to work. Nevertheless, the fact that others exist would cause planetary unification and a much faster space race. Wherether it'll be a peacefull one remains to be seen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2012, 04:27:08 pm »

Yeah, the main upside is that you'd have planetary union fairly early in their development.

3. Run Resize Enable

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2012, 06:28:57 pm »

You'd have the material resources of three worlds to bootstrap the kind of mining effort we need for serious space industry. Technology would inevitably be shared rapidly between them, either by dissenting civilians or governments that don't agree with whatever superpowers decide to have at it between them. 18 billion population worth of scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs, assuming an equivalent to our own social structures (which seems likely given how successful, albeit horrifying, European expansionism was) - the 'happy accidents' of innovation, such as the solid-state transistor, various materials and drugs, elements of biology, physics, etc. etc. would come much more rapidly, and there would be a quick population explosion after three world's worth of these came together and filled in any holes (and maybe some we haven't even discovered).

You'd get a lot of panic and fear-mongering. A big problem I can see is that there would be no MAD. If one country fired a nuke at the enemy of a country on another world, there's no backlash for the countries of either the first or third world, because it'd be simple enough to fire an IPBM in a trajectory that could have come from either. They could probably detect the launch by the time they were good enough at making missiles, but it'd be hard to differentiate between that and a satellite launch, sans an informant. You'd have a period of peace followed by some extremely tense situations. It seems unlikely that there would be a complete dearth of Kim Jong Ils, etc, on all three worlds.

On the other hand, space tourism would be much, much more attractive to the common person. Hearing the descriptions of the landmarks, wonders, art, food, and cultures of other worlds first-hand would be a huge incentive to pay a visit, much moreso than a barren moon and an inhospitable rust-bucket are to us. Knowing that there's probably an incredibly advanced Earth and possibly other worlds waiting out there couldn't hurt, especially if transmissions were around to prove it. Corporations would probably gain much more power, much more quickly, if the media inundation we face today is any indication. That might limit even the most powerful governments to a side-role in the space race. It's hard to say how settled-and-forgotten colonists would develop socially, especially religion-wise, but there would probably be some social instability there.

(Forum games seems like a really weird fit to me, and it's also much busier, but eh)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 06:30:59 pm by Eagleon »
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2012, 07:10:24 pm »

Well, it was the best fit I could think of.

Those long posts, well thought out... That's why I posted this topic! So interesting to read.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 08:45:35 pm »

Back to the stone age you say? That could be 20,000 or more years. On that time scale, there isn't enough time to become entirely different, but there is enough time to develop noticeable changes. There would also be a language barrier, since language evolves much more quickly than species.

Science will take a huge hit at the hands of fundamentalist religions: Without the evolutionary and fossil record of human development, the "God physically built us bit by bit" idea will be harder to disprove. Upon discovering life on another planet, this will change... until the people on said planet are determined to have similar characteristics.

Inter-planetary diseases will suck. Remember malaria hitting the New World hard? Same concept.

In general, every problem we've had in our colonization, they'll have. One of them might advance a thousand years faster. One might be slow. Suddenly, we have aliens building pyramids on foreign planets.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 10:16:43 pm »

Wait. Holy shit. I just got it. This is the real life. Pyramids and aliums? Nope. It was...

people.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 [2]