Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Archery and Line of Sight  (Read 1584 times)

ThreeKelvin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Archery and Line of Sight
« on: October 01, 2012, 12:24:54 pm »

Have anybody done any testing on what markdwarves can and can't hit with regard to walls, z-levels, etc?

I've tried looking for the information on the wiki and on this forum, but I can't seem to find the information I'm looking for.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Archery and Line of Sight
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 12:44:00 pm »

They shoot in a straight line, so walls are a problem and z-levels are not. Bolt range is farther than LoS, but if marksdwarves can path to an enemy they'll first run into LoS then shoot.

ThreeKelvin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 01:10:28 pm »

They shoot in a straight line, so walls are a problem and z-levels are not. Bolt range is farther than LoS, but if marksdwarves can path to an enemy they'll first run into LoS then shoot.
Thanks. Can you be more specific? A straight line between what exactly?

If it's between centers of the individual cells, then a marksdwarf behind fortifications wouldn't be able to shoot a goblin one z-level below him outside the fortification, e.g,
Code: [Select]
dF
WWg
(side view, d = Dwarf, F = Fortification, W = Wall, g = Goblin)

but would (perhaps? What about corner cases like this one?) be able to shoot the goblin in the similar scenario of
dF
WW g

But, if it's calculated as a straight line between two abitrary points inside the individual cells, then both of the above examples would enable the marksdwarf to fire at the goblin.

I'm trying to make a fort that has neither traps nor the ability to seal itself from the surface, so an effective shooting gallery for softening up the sieges before they get into melee is a must. ;)

chevil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 01:15:02 pm »

I believe that they will only shoot at
dF
WW g
and not at
dF
WWg

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 03:00:18 pm »

I think chevil is right.
I usually have this in my forts

dF  ________
   R
where R is an up ramp, and they don't seem able to shoot at goblins on the ramp. So straight line between the centers it seems to be.
Also, build a shotgun. Those things are very powerfull, annihilating entire squads of mounted goblin siegers with one or two shots at a range twice or thrice as big as that of a crossbow.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 06:52:13 pm »

no no no, dont build a dwarven cannon, build a dwarven water/magma gun! those can take care of the reload problem automatically and (in the case of the water gun) constantly push victems back as it breaks their bones and skulls and stuff to death (i've seen very little deaths by drowning with a watergun)

theres a thread on this forum somewhere on the watergun, with an attached savefile iirc.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me