Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Stockpile Greediness  (Read 2852 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Stockpile Greediness
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 11:37:13 am »

More or less...
No G1.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 11:53:54 am »

How about setting a stockpile to accept the stuff the one you want to clear out isn't supposed to have. Then have it take, or be given to, from the other stockpile? It's a bit more work but this is DF. Would that work to do G1?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 12:41:32 pm »

I was reminding you of what the post above yours said.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 11:59:26 pm »

I already knew about the new Give/Take system, and even acknowledged it in my first post-coma post.  But as I said then, it doesn't replace Greediness.

My main use for G1 would be to clear the stone off of freshly dug out stockpiles.  To emulate this with Give/Take would require explicitly wiring every new stockpile up to the pseudo-G1 stockpile.

Also, don't forget about the two side proposals and the GS extension.

Side proposal 1 (do not treat a stockpile as any greedier than the minimum necessary to generate jobs) would save much aggravation without the user ever needing to explicitly set greediness or Give/Take.

Side proposal 2 (provide a dump-like flag to mark items on the ground for priority hauling) is also not covered by DF2012.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 05:26:24 pm »

... To emulate this with Give/Take would require explicitly wiring every new stockpile up to the pseudo-G1 stockpile.

Yes.  This is DF.  Link them up.
Or don't.  Unwanted items in a stockpile eventually make it to a stockpile that permits them.

But don't worry, I'm sure dfhack will eventually have an auto-link feature at some point.
It already has a «copy stock settings» function (which is awesome!), so copying give-take relationships is sure to come.

Although I like City-Builder-series style stockpile greed, it just isn't needed.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 08:20:41 pm »

Needed? I guess not. Useful? Circus yes.
Sig

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2012, 04:17:42 am »

There's still no substitute for Side Proposal 2, the "collect" flag.  That is, a designation similar to dump that allows specific items to be directed to G1 stockpiles.

Although with the other changes in DF2012, that proposal may no longer be enough.  Now that wheelbarrows and other changes make it less efficient to ship all raw stone to a central processing area, I feel the need for a way to define "catchments" for stockpiles, so that I can have a stockpile and block-making workshop at the beginning of a tunneling project, and have the dwarves only haul stone "inwards" to this node, never pulling stone away from the core of the fort.

Catchments could be defined using the burrows infrastructure.  Using burrows directly would not suffice for two reasons.  First, the Wiki says there's a bug that causes job cancellation spam if you try to do this by assigning haulers to a burrow.  Second, a sustainable burrow has to include access to sleeping and eating points, which you may explicitly not want to include in a stockpile's catchment.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 03:10:43 am »

How about setting a stockpile to accept the stuff the one you want to clear out isn't supposed to have. Then have it take, or be given to, from the other stockpile? It's a bit more work but this is DF. Would that work to do G1?
I just tried this, and it didn't work.

Specifically, I noticed a bag wasn't being hauled to the seed stockpile, which had a vermin corpse on the only slot unused by other bags.  (Barrels were disabled for this pile).

I tried making a one-square refuse pile and setting it to take from the seed pile, with "take only from links".  Nothing happened.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 04:36:46 am »

I think that may have been because the vermin corpse wasn't stored in the stockpile, but just lying there.

This is what dumping is useful for.
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 06:44:16 am »

I still think an option to, say, haul stone out of the new food stockpile and to the stone stockpile would be nice.
Sig

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2012, 11:41:52 am »

I think that may have been because the vermin corpse wasn't stored in the stockpile, but just lying there.
That would be fair if the dwarves would ignore the corpse and drop a bag on top of it when filling the stockpile.
Pages: 1 [2]