Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: THE most flimsy goblin squad ever  (Read 1378 times)

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
THE most flimsy goblin squad ever
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:17:49 pm »

Hey guys! I was finishing linking my bridge to the lever on the outer walls when I got attacked by goblins. A regular siege, only they brought they beastmaster/general with them.

Since I was still linking the bridge, I didn't sound the alarm so I could finish the job. I figured that my marksdwarves could fend them off from a guard tower while the job was done.

Suddenly, Urist McHunter, who was just passing by, randomly makes eye contact with the omnious goblin horde. He shoots a bolt and this happens:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And their entire squad flees. No deaths. Just a badly injured goblin general.

How can I make this guy a legend? This was probably the most crazy moment I've seen in DF yet!
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Sprin

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Sprin Dragon, Master of Madness!
    • View Profile
Re: THE most flimsy goblin squad ever
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:34:51 pm »

Name?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
HOW DID YOU KNOW I WAS LOOKING UP RULE 34 OF D*CKS?
Sprin is certifiably insane, but there is no denying his brilliance.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 01:38:53 pm »

And so Urist McHunter walked up to his fine kill, disappointed he couldn't eat it.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:20:21 pm »

Goblin squads and ambush parties often break and flee if their leader is wounded.  About the ideal way to keep one around is have a mounted leader and cripple their mount.  They hang around on a beast that is sitting around and retching and their squad tends to stay until the siege takes enough casualties to generate a general retreat.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 01:58:25 am »

That or cage the leader. The rest apparently stand their and argue with him about what to do until your troops arrive to sort things out for them.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Trickman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 09:33:09 am »

Name?
Adil Ralód. It's actually a she-dorf. Pretty young, too (for dorfish standards): 58.

"She has a little difficulty with words and a meager kinesthetic sense". - Not with her crossbow, though.
This is a plain text forum signature. All typedwarfship is of the finest quality. It menaces with sentences of plain text.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 01:47:18 pm »

Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.