- 1 (3.1%)
yes
- 20 (62.5%)
no -- embarassing
- 1 (3.1%)
no -- something else
- 3 (9.4%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: justified back seat driving  (Read 693 times)

vadia

• Bay Watcher
  • tacky picture given the forum; I know.
    • View Profile
justified back seat driving
« on: September 27, 2012, 03:42:17 pm »

There is an ad from the ad council that I keep hearing designed to get people to tell drivers to be safer; has anybody done this?  Would such a commecial lead one to do so?

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: justified back seat driving
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:12:18 pm »

Yes, obviously I would do as such in a dangerous situation. In a sufficiently dangerous situation I'd even grab the wheel from them.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »

Commercial convincing me to, maybe not. But I just spent most of the last seven hours riding herd on a fellow in his 80s from the passenger seat. So yeah.

It's not exactly backseat driving, I guess, but the fact of the matter is when the passenger's paying more attention to the road and the driver's driving than the driver is, it's probably a good idea to speak up if necessary. Blinker's still on, edging over 10 (15, 20, whatever) mph over (under, as needed) the limit, might want to get out of the oncoming traffic lane... stuff like that.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 04:38:56 pm »

Haven't seen the ad.

I'd speak up if I actually feel unsafe, but I don't care if the driver doesn't follow the law or something like that. It also takes a lot to make me feel unsafe, so I'm probably not a good "back seat driver".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 04:40:29 pm »

I'd speak up if I actually feel unsafe, but I don't care if the driver doesn't follow the law or something like that. It also takes a lot to make me feel unsafe, so I'm probably not a good "back seat driver".

Yeah, this is me. Due to an excessive amount of vehicular hijinks when I was younger, it takes quite a bit to scare me behind the wheel.

The only thing I'll really call people out on is drifting.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 04:51:53 pm »

Yeah, this is me. Due to an excessive amount of vehicular hijinks when I was younger, it takes quite a bit to scare me behind the wheel.

Sort of a similar thing happened to me. I've been to Algeria a couple times, and going back home everybody seemed to drive safely and gently in comparison.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2012, 04:54:59 pm »

"comeon bro, lets go to the industrial estate to do that"?
Magma is overrated.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2012, 04:56:07 pm »

"comeon bro, lets go to the industrial estate to do that"?

More like "Eyes on the fucking road bro!" Drifting into oncoming traffic is not something I'm going to take passively.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 05:23:18 pm »

I say something if they're about to back into the side of another car or something. I probably wouldn't say anything about speeding since I wouldn't be paying attention to that.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 07:51:16 pm »

I can be one of those drivers that scares the passengers...

As for when other people drive, the only people who I don't want driving me at this point is people at learner permit/new driver level and does who do not drive often.  Otherwise, I usually go to sleep while other people drive, ain't much use to worry anyways.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2012, 08:09:45 pm »

I mention speeding if we're coming up to a camera.  I'd probably mention seatbelts too but pretty much everyone puts it on anyway.