Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Peat farming  (Read 7488 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: Peat farming
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2012, 11:13:33 pm »

Nah, it wasn't that which confused me. I've never heard sod called turf, actually... sod isn't really a word one encounters too often except in reference to Sod's Law (Brits' name for Murphy's Law).

I didn't realise that the peat actually doesn't really decompose down into something approaching soil (Since dead organic stuff lying around for three millenia really should), instead drying into... seriously? Layers of extremely dense dead moss? Bloody hell, you can't make this stuff up.

It doesn't really help that the pictures of peat harvesting look an awful lot like bigass cubes of dirt...
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2012, 03:46:46 am »

It's simple to mod Peat to be collectable like clay and sand, and use custom reactions to turn it into fuel.

See the Chemistry mod in my .sig for that, it's in a sub-folder, it adds collection of Loam and Peat, with specialized uses (loam for constructions or bricks only, peat for fuel)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 03:49:17 am by Reelya »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2012, 05:06:44 am »

Great link on the subject:
http://www.lowtechmagazine.com/2011/09/peat-and-coal-fossil-fuels-in-pre-industrial-times.html

They mention both that forging with peat was possible and that smelting wasn't possible with it, or at least not done.

That's not entirely accurate:  It's possible and historic to use peat for smelting and forging alike, but peat was wholly replaced by coke during the Industrial Revolution.

Quote from: lowtechmagazine
Because of its lower sulfur content, peat did not have these limitations. The Dutch could use it for almost all thermal processes in their industries. Over time, however, the English managed to adapt their industrial processes for the use of coal instead of wood and charcoal. With every step they took, the English slowly caught up to the Dutch.  A turning point came at the dawn of the eighteenth century when the last - and most important - industrial process was converted to coal: the production of iron.

This last step, made possible by the introduction of 'cokes' or purified coal, marked the start of the Industrial Revolution in the Western world. [...] Turf, on the other hand, could not deliver the intense heat produced by coal, and hence was not used in iron production, nor to power steam engines. 

That's not to say peat is particularly good for smelting.  Here's a wall of text from "Peat and its Uses as Fertilier and Fuel", published 1866, emphases added:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Considering the ease with which dwarves produce high quality coke and steel, it seems likely they'd know how to use peat, even if it were a poor preference.  I can picture a dwarven smelter turning his nose up at peat-coal because it's just not as good as coal and needs to be specially prepared.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 05:14:14 am by SethCreiyd »

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2012, 06:21:09 am »

Sure. The thing is, peat is found in swampy, moist areas: it's likely that there's an aquifer or other water problems digging downwards, so it's a nice alternative fuel source for those in need.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 [2]