Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: History schmistory?  (Read 4581 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: History schmistory?
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »

Yes, it means there will be no or just a few historical figure migrants, and the rest will be randomly generated. You will always get migrants as long as your civ isn't extinct, then you'll be limited to the first 2 waves.
Then I guess the children issue won't be a problem, since the two special waves will usually push me way over my intended population cap.

The hardcoded 2 waves are betweem 2-10 each, so your intended cap is really low (under 27)? Also this applies only if you civ is extinct, otherwise you get randomly generated migrants as usual, just not many historical ones (most children migrants are historical in my experience).

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2012, 03:20:18 pm »

I don't know which is worse, images of cheese Vs dwarves curled up in fetal position as bonobos laugh at them.
Both are amazing compared to the usual pictures of elves taming bobcats or Urist getting promoted that I normally get.

What I really love is dwarves falling/burning/getting crushed, named elephants cowering in fear as a kobold crushes their third toe, left front leg or just nobles crawling in fetal position or being terrified by rats/flies. Too bad that such engravings usually require the fort to survive and suffer for quite a few years.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2012, 05:13:52 pm »

Y'all are ignoring somrthing: sieges. Sieges depend on historical figures, so sieges will be small and start quick.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 06:34:14 pm »

Y'all are ignoring somrthing: sieges. Sieges depend on historical figures, so sieges will be small and start quick.

Sieges are randomly generated for the most part AFAIK, so they are not gonna be smaller.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2012, 08:59:16 pm »

The hardcoded 2 waves are betweem 2-10 each, so your intended cap is really low (under 27)?
Exactly.  I set my cap to "10", for all the good it did.  I'd probably raise it mid game, but still 27 dwarves is dizzyingly high.

Although the fact that at least one DFer (you) finds a sub-27 cap somewhat shocking might explain all the "works for me" comments on bug 2922.  People like me get stuck with well over twice the dwarves we want, while those with initial caps above 30 see things mostly working.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:04:16 pm by Michael »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 09:06:28 pm »

10 is indeed low  :). I don't find it shocking, but my playstyle is probably very different. I usually end up with 300+ and I just avoid more because 400 hits too hard on FPS.
Still if you're lucky you could achieve around 10 if the first waves are small enough.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2012, 09:58:56 pm »

10 is silly low.

What kinda chip you got in there, a dorito?  :P
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2012, 10:30:00 pm »

10 is silly low.

What kinda chip you got in there, a dorito?  :P
It's the computer between my ears I'm trying to spare, not the one with the keyboard and monitor.

That said, I am using an old laptop -- Speccy says the chip in there is "Intel Core Duo T2300E @ 1.66GHz", with 1 GiB of ram.  It would not in the least surprise me if I did have "FPS Death" at 100 dwarves.  But that's irrelevant since I'd still want a low-population fort even if I had the best DF rig money could buy.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2012, 10:36:42 pm »

That's still a little low. I think early humans grouped in larger packs/flocks/prides/whatever than that.

But whatever. I'm going to be over here playing my 200 Dorf fort with no lag while I laugh at all you poor and irish folk and your lack of hats.

Oh ho ho ho ho ho ho.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2012, 12:05:45 am »

That's still a little low. I think early humans grouped in larger packs/flocks/prides/whatever than that.
Note that it's a starting setting that I'd probably raise later.  If I could set a cap that would be respected precisely, I'd probably go to 17 eventually.  (My personal fort design template has 4 pods of 4 rooms each, plus one special suite next to the trade depot.)

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2012, 12:19:41 am »

Quibble:  A long history doesn't necessarily mean you'll get interesting engravings/statues/etc.  I run my worlds  to 1000 years and I get nothing but fortress events and the same elf and grizzly bear, with the occasional civ symbol; it seems to be based on what happened in the area you settle in.

You can also preserve more of your beasties by increasing the number of caves, and...  I forget what else; been a while since I genned a world.  This one and its animal-women necromancers is plenty good, and my PC doesn't have enough hats to make worldgen un-torturous.

Honestly, if worldgen time is your main problem, though, I'd suggest starting it and then just wandering away from the PC until it's done.  Or download one, pre-genned; think there are links in the Worldgen Cookbook thread if you necro it up.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2012, 04:24:31 pm »

Honestly, if worldgen time is your main problem, though, I'd suggest starting it and then just wandering away from the PC until it's done.  Or download one, pre-genned; think there are links in the Worldgen Cookbook thread if you necro it up.
There's no need though.  I think my original question - "am I hurting myself by using Very Short History?" - has been answered in the negative.  So there's no reason not to use it.
Pages: 1 [2]