Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Damnit use the gold you like, not candy!  (Read 1459 times)

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Damnit use the gold you like, not candy!
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:20:32 am »

So I picked and trained certain dwarfs specifically for their likes. My current mood though has picked up candy wafers instead of gold (he better not make me a wiffle bat). I'm guessing they just pick the highest value bars if they are worth more than their like? And if I turn all my candy in to say coins (not for the bugged bars but to just keep them away from moods) will my moods still want adamantine or will they pick the stuff they like (like my guy who likes platinum and war hammers better grab platinum)?

edit: mofo made me a war hammer... I'd still like an answer to prevent getting a candy war hammer instead of a gold one.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:33:07 am by SnK-Arcbound »

darkgloomie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Damnit use the gold you like, not candy!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 01:33:23 am »

Don't moody dorfs simply pick the closest, non forbidden material available?

If you're worried about your candy, simply forbid the wafer you dorf is using. As long as they aren't the only material of the mood the dorf will do something else (if no primary material, in this case metal, is available after they've taken it, the dorf will make an iron artifact. Unless you messed with the raws, in which case it's "first inorganic material on the list")

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 01:40:50 am »

Don't moody dorfs simply pick the closest, non forbidden material available?

If you're worried about your candy, simply forbid the wafer you dorf is using. As long as they aren't the only material of the mood the dorf will do something else (if no primary material, in this case metal, is available after they've taken it, the dorf will make an iron artifact. Unless you messed with the raws, in which case it's "first inorganic material on the list")
He wanted specifically candy instead of gold which was one of his likes.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:52:43 am »

Sometimes there are material-specific moods which ask specifically for materials (I've seen dwarves have moods which specifically ask for adamantine wafers rather than metal bars, confirmed through DFHack.) This might be one of those cases.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

SnK-Arcbound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 03:47:34 am »

So after reading the wiki, it says that without the bars my dwarfs wouldn't be able to specifically say they want candy. And my next dwarf made me a lead war hammer after turning all 189 candy into coins. So I just missed out on one gold war hammer (and before that I got a gold crossbow, which I might end up using).

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 05:49:46 am »

So after reading the wiki, it says that without the bars my dwarfs wouldn't be able to specifically say they want candy. And my next dwarf made me a lead war hammer after turning all 189 candy into coins. So I just missed out on one gold war hammer (and before that I got a gold crossbow, which I might end up using).

Gold/siver/lead/platinum crossbows are excellent melee weapons.

pixl97

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 08:33:36 am »

I keep all candy forbidden until it needs to be used. I'll use a dump and burrow method of getting it to a lockable workshop area where it can be formed away from other dwarfs without getting turned in to stitches or something else useless. Then the last step is turning it in to weapons and armor.

I tend to use the 'showmood' command in DFhack to see what's needed when the mood starts. It's a little easier then waiting for them to cap a workshop and guess what their ramblings mean. And if a craftsdwarf ever wanted candy, he'd get locked in their till he dies.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 08:37:23 am »

Give your Hammerer his legendary styro-hammer. Never fulfill another mandate.
My wooden badge was delicious.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 09:16:32 am »

Give your Hammerer his legendary styro-hammer. Never fulfill another mandate.

This.  Firegears found candy a few days ago, my second project after making a short sword for my best fighter is to make a hammer for my Captain of the Guard.

I have very few military left after an ambush and two sieges (little time between each)  and the survivors either get a candy weapon (if bladed) or something heavy (if a hammer) and high quality.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

PaleBlueHammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 02:16:29 pm »

edit: mofo made me a war hammer... I'd still like an answer to prevent getting a candy war hammer instead of a gold one.

I resemble that remark!
Quote from: misko27
If adamantine is revealed for more then 2 years without being completely mined it all turns into galena. Useless, Useless Galena.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:50:55 pm »

Sometimes there are material-specific moods which ask specifically for materials (I've seen dwarves have moods which specifically ask for adamantine wafers rather than metal bars, confirmed through DFHack.) This might be one of those cases.
This - I haven't fully analyzed the Strange Mood logic in any of the 3D versions, but it's been observed in the past that moody metalworkers can specifically demand adamantine wafers instead of "any metal bars" or even the metal bars in their preferences, though the circumstance under which this happens has not yet been documented. This shouldn't happen for generic metal bar requirements for other moods, though.

[edit]

I've just gone over the entire Strange Mood function in version 0.34.11, and here's how it works:
If you have any adamantine wafers available in your fortress at the time the dwarf enters a Metalsmithing mood, then that mood will require adamantine wafers as its primary component. If not, then the game will look at the dwarf's preferences to find what their favorite metal is, and if you've ever smelted any bars of that metal, then the mood will require that type of metal as its primary component. Otherwise, any metal will do.

Moody clothers are similar - if you have adamantine cloth available, they'll insist on using it, otherwise they'll pick either plant fiber cloth, silk cloth, or yarn cloth based on their preferences (if they like any specific type of cloth, then they'll demand any cloth of that generic type - a dwarf who like GCS silk will demand any silk cloth) or randomly select one of the three.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 09:54:25 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.