Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My Current Game  (Read 1502 times)

mrnoun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My Current Game
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 01:48:00 pm »

A full 19 migrants arrive before I can get the spring harvest in.  This does not bode well.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 01:53:00 pm »

um... 1 food/drink in setup screen is 1 barrel?

... there i was thinking 1 barrel holds maybe 5. and you get the appropriate number of barrels...

not that i've been counting.. it's a bit hard to count a few hundred barrels (yet to play the game properly!)

thrones work? next restart then XD

strangely, i've got my 1st forge and traders this time around... quite quickly.. probably because i caged all those stupid animals (properly) asap this time around to reduce the lag.

trading... been trying to flog off some crap stone doors... too heavy!

mrnoun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 04:16:00 pm »

"Limul Nobleder likes... cows for their haunting moos.

When possible, she prefers to eat cow."

I survived the immigrant rush by making them all stone haulers/farmers to clear space and then make new farm plots.  We ended up as low as two food at one point, but it's up into the 60's now in midsummer.

I've started work on the eastern part of the road, simply because I have laborers standing around idle.  I also had a craftsman make some stonecraft so I'll have something to trade come autumn.  Due to lack of turtle bone, I've been using some of my copper ore to make crossbows.  Wood probably would have been better, in retrospect, but the copper vein was so rich I felt I should use it.  Still, it takes two wood to make one copper crossbow, and only one wood to make a wood crossbow, right?

The current expansion project is increasing the size of the farm area to make room for next year's immigrants.  The current development project is setting up rooms for the inevitable nobles.

I have some undeveloped silk; I should consider a clothesmaker's shop, and a loom to subsequently supply it.

mrnoun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 09:19:00 pm »

Early Autumn:

33 dwarves, 79 edible food.  We need a good season at the harvest if we're going to survive the winter.  

A jeweler wants to make an artifact, but he's got a desire for diamonds, which I doubt I'm even close to finding.  Nonetheless, I'm digging up every rough gem I can find, just in case he's willing to settle.

Wood is becoming scarce near the entrance.  I'm reluctant to send the woodcutter too far afield, where unicorns and elephants roam.  The critters tend to follow them back to the fortress, and Plan Crossbow hasn't exactly panned out, due to the utter lack of bones.

Unless the autumn caravan is really nice and gives me the weapons I need, I may just take a little risk and try crossing the cave river a bit earlier than I want to.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2006, 02:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>um... 1 food/drink in setup screen is 1 barrel?</STRONG>

1 food/drink corresponds to 1/10th of a barrel.  However, each different kind of drink requires its own barrel.  So if you bring along (10*x)+1 various pieces of meat, you'll get x+1 barrels, and you'll get an additional y barrels if you bring along y types of beverages, with the same (10*x)+1-barrels rule applying for more than 10 units of beverage.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin
Pages: 1 [2]