Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Erfworld Thread  (Read 1216 times)

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
The Erfworld Thread
« on: September 21, 2012, 01:07:18 am »

For those not familiar with it, Erfworld is a strategy gamer / fantasy webcomic that started out on the same site as Order of the Stick, the stick-figure D&D parody.

It's a story about a strategy game geek who ends up, due to a literal minded summoning spell, in a strategy game mechanics 'verse, supposed to become "the perfect warlord" for a badly losing side. It's also packed full of pop culture goodness. (e.g. Charlie's Archons, business jargon -powered flying women working for a mysterious chessmaster, who bear a more than a passing resemblance to a certain trio of detective ladies...)

So, for all things Erf, here's a thread. Shout Outs spotted and explained, wild conjecture on plot and Erf Physics, WTFs, whatever. Discuss.

The latest comic, in addition to the wonderful symbolism of
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
King Slately gradually turning into a chess pawn as Charlie asserts his sway upon him, there's a hilarious collage of notable villains Charlie assumes the looks of... I identified Palpatine, Dr. DOOM, Smith and HeathLedger!Joker, but what about the rest of them?
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: The Erfworld Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 01:08:24 am »

Hm. I need to start reading this again. I peeked at a few of the newer comics, and to be honest I liked the old art style more.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 01:12:07 am »

Dance fighting is ALWAYS the way to go.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 11:42:27 am »

I stopped at the end of the strips hosted at GiTP; I suppose I should keep reading.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 11:46:36 am »

It's a good series. Although the flip-flopping between past and present at the moment messes with the pacing a bit. When he's done with that I'll need to go back and read each part separately so I can get the proper effect of each.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 11:50:40 am »

Some of the pages (and puns) are just epic.
Like the newest page for instance.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

DragonFlight

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 01:17:49 pm »

King Slately gradually turning into a chess pawn as Charlie asserts his sway upon him, there's a hilarious collage of notable villains Charlie assumes the looks of... I identified Palpatine, Dr. DOOM, Smith and HeathLedger!Joker, but what about the rest of them?

Just saw this, so sorry it's a week or so out of date...
In order of appearance in that particular comic -

Emperor Palpatine
Dr. Doom
Dr. Gero
Agent Smith
General Zod
Khan Noonien Singh
Beetlejuice
The Joker

The costumes seem to be the movie varieties (if there is a difference) - General Zod is wearing his outfit from Superman II instead of from the comics, for example.

^_^

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 11:10:17 pm »

This comic is awesome. Been reading it since it came out on GitP.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.