Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: efficient corpse processing?  (Read 1087 times)

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
efficient corpse processing?
« on: August 18, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »

anyone managed to do this properly?

i've got a cluster of related buildings. something like below (no representative of actual tiles)

with food pile inside kitchen room, leather pile inside tannery room

fine and dandy.. starts & finish butchering a corpse. sees the fat/bones/etc inside the shop.. orders fat rendering, tanning & making bone crafts...

nothing much happens most of the time. occasionally a few bone item get made and then it says no bones when there are a few in the refuse pile. fat sometimes get moved from the kitchen to the food pile... and then someone comes alone with clean blood command and cleans up the fat? (not sure if it's gone off or not... it's just on the floor)

code:

kitchen---butcher---refuse---craftgoods
  |        |        |          |
food     fish     tannery   leather

even tried having 1 dwarf have no orders but refuse hauling.. and they just don't seem to want to move anything.

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: efficient corpse processing?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2006, 02:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>anyone managed to do this properly?

i've got a cluster of related buildings. something like below (no representative of actual tiles)

with food pile inside kitchen room, leather pile inside tannery room

fine and dandy.. starts & finish butchering a corpse. sees the fat/bones/etc inside the shop.. orders fat rendering, tanning & making bone crafts...

nothing much happens most of the time. occasionally a few bone item get made and then it says no bones when there are a few in the refuse pile. fat sometimes get moved from the kitchen to the food pile... and then someone comes alone with clean blood command and cleans up the fat? (not sure if it's gone off or not... it's just on the floor)

code:

kitchen---butcher---refuse---craftgoods
  |        |        |          |
food     fish     tannery   leather

even tried having 1 dwarf have no orders but refuse hauling.. and they just don't seem to want to move anything.</STRONG>

Is the kitchen outside or inside? Dwarves only gather refuse from inside. You can change them to gather it from outside as well, but then they'll start going to the forest as well.
Fat can go bad, so I quess the cleaners remove the "rotten" fat.

Janne )`*

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2006, 02:29:00 pm »

it's all inside.

maybe i should just flip the outside collection to be on anyway...

Janne Joensuu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 03:32:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>it's all inside.

maybe i should just flip the outside collection to be on anyway...</STRONG>

I hope your refuse pile isn't inside! Miasma can be evil.

Other than that, I can't help. The only problem I had with dwarves not gathering refuse was when the refuse pile filled up and they thought it better to leave things lying around in kitchen isntead of near the refuse pile.

Janne )`*

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2006, 03:49:00 am »

it's not a problem if the refuse pile is in a room with doors.

maybe i've got too many things around to move or something.. lots of rocks & ores in the wrong places.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2006, 05:08:00 am »

Even if it has doors, some can escape when a dwarf walks in, and any dwarves delivering items to the pile can still get bad thoughts from the stench.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2006, 10:50:00 am »

I tend to make my butcher shop and refuse stockpile have a seperate entrance altogether, as if it were it's own little fortress. That way miasma doesn't bother the dwarves quite so much. They often leave rotten meat on the ground if there are too many haul orders qued up.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 03:08:00 pm »

it seems to me that miasma only escapes if a door is jammed open by a rock/ore (or other items)

i suppose maybe pets too if it stays right at the door, jamming it open.

... there's the bad thoughts.. can't be helped unless i re-allocate the entire chain practically outside. (with the refuse part outside, obviously)

started a different game.. similar set up, seems to have gone a bit smoother this time.. though there are still the job cancelled/can't find bones/etc messages.. maybe the repetitve jobs can stay in the queue but just bumped to the back rather than deleted automatically? maybe the worker should automatically dump out the products rather than having someone else hauling it out whenever they feel like it?