Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legendary dwarves and Masterpiece work  (Read 366 times)

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Legendary dwarves and Masterpiece work
« on: October 17, 2012, 01:49:37 pm »

As it is right now, Legendary status gives your dwarf a nice flashing symbol but not much else. A skill level 15 dwarf's work is only slightly better than a skill level 14 dwarf's, with more chances to produce a masterwork quality item, but still random.

I'd like Legendary to be more special--to give you extra options for dwarves that are Legendary.

So how about a "Masterwork" option on workshops limited to Legendary dwarves only? This would allow Legendary dwarves to work somewhat more slowly, use more materials (double?) but turn out Masterwork-quality products 100% of the time. It would be useful because sometimes you just want Masterwork quality only, like for your king's rooms or for your Forgotten Beast axedwarf squad--anything else gets scrapped. Using more materials and more time would be equivalent to having the Legendary dwarf just churn out items until you get a Masterwork, but without the need to get rid of the "failed" objects.

It makes sense to me for realism's sake, too, because a very accomplished worker can easily decide to produce only the very best--he slows down, takes his time, and scraps things before they're finished if he judges they're not good enough. If you order a Legendary dwarf to produce only the absolute best he is capable of, then he should be able to do that.

Optionally, it might not take more materials when working with metal, because the scrap from metalwork can be melted down into bars. For metals, it should just take more time and fuel.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 01:59:08 pm by Callista »

Revanchist

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you for helping us help you help us all.
    • View Profile
Re: Legendary dwarves and Masterpiece work
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 02:31:58 pm »

This is a valid idea, having the ability to tell your experienced dwarves use their experience.
Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."

People love a happy ending. So every episode, I will explain once again that I don't like people. And then Mal will shoot someone. Someone we like. And their puppy.