Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hybrid Studies  (Read 1405 times)

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Shipper God and Freyjapiller
    • View Profile
Hybrid Studies
« on: September 22, 2012, 04:23:45 pm »

This is a simple minor study into the miracles DFusion may bring to us, specifically, hybrids. No shenanigans with race-change and impregnate, just proper hybrids.

To explain my interest, here is a small story:

Back in 31.25, I used Dfusion quite a lot for multiracial forts. Now, one day, idly, I'd done a sift through of things, saw a birth announcement, centered, nothing unusual, right?

Except the baby's father was a fire imp. Now, with DFusion, you can make hybrids, but the description will crash DF. The hybrid had a perfectly viewable description, and it's father was the fire imp.

Post with proof: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=69682.495

Now, it may be that I'm the only one who believes this is awesome or useful, but think of the possibilities storywise.

This is why I will do several studies into Dfusion's embark and friendship functions, the two I used for that specific fort, and determine whether or not that one fluke can be replicated. Also, I will determine several other things:
-Is it possible to have that happen on a regular basis?
-Could it be possible to do it with other pairings apart from dwarf/fire imp?
-What variables could increase the chances of this?

I will also take into account several things.
-The fire imp and dwarf were initial settlers.
-They were burrowed into a meeting room for a bit before I let them out. (Perhaps influencing social standing?)

I have made this thread to see if anyone is interested in the study's result or if anyone has experienced it in DF 34.11's DFHack.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Hybrid Studies
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2012, 01:29:54 am »

Define "hybrid".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2012, 01:32:42 am »

By the looks of it "hybrid" translates as "same species as the mother but having a different species father through hacking". So no fancy mules or owlbears or anything like that, it's just a weird triggering of the pregnancy flag.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2012, 01:39:26 am »

No, the current definition of hybrid is "same species mother, different species father, no hacking except making father species playable in fortmode". I did mention race change/impregnate is not used.

Though eventually, due to what happened when I did get the hybrid, there might be a sort of 'true' hybrid, via hacking, but then again, Toady's not exactly focused on interspecies breeding. D:

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2012, 01:51:48 am »

No, the current definition of hybrid is "same species mother, different species father, no hacking except making father species playable in fortmode". I did mention race change/impregnate is not used.
So as I pointed out, it's a weird triggering of the pregnancy flag by the game itself due to a marriage that is only made possible by having two creatures of different races be treated as "dwarves" by the game. My guess would be that Dfusion's "make playable" command tricks the game into believing that the creature is the playable race in certain aspects. The game then enables marriage and pregnancy and voila! babies with different species fathers.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

IamanElfCollaborator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2012, 02:09:58 am »

Meh, this thread is sort of pointless when I think about it. Locking it, I feel embarassed to have even thought about it.