Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lost my first dwarf  (Read 784 times)

Scow2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lost my first dwarf
« on: September 22, 2012, 07:11:06 pm »

My woodcutter didn't even survive to see the first summer after embark :( .

He was chopping wood by the source of a brook when a Sea Lamprey attacked him, and he drowned. Nobody found his body, and once they did, they never bothered to retrieve it!

How do I get my dwarves to go fetch the damn body? And apparently he's far from my fort, because it didn't give me the message of his death (Even though I watched it happen)... Instead it told me he had been missing for over a week, and when someone FINALLY went to his area (Ignoring his corpse completely), it gave the message that his body was found (Drowned)... and STILL he was ignored. And now his ghost is haunting the river.

I even built him an elaborate tomb to hold his body, being the first death I've ever had (And one of the original seven)

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Lost my first dwarf
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2012, 07:13:17 pm »

If the body's underwater, your dwarves won't retrieve it.  You'll have to dam the stream or some such.  Otherwise just build and engrave a slab for him, it will make the ghost go away.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2012, 07:16:17 pm »

Or drop a minecart of magma or seven into the river and dig out the appropriate square.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2012, 08:14:23 pm »

If the brook freezes during the winter, have a miner dig out the square where your dwarf's skeleton is.

In the meanwhile, engrave a slab for him.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 09:51:46 pm »

If the brook freezes, there won't be a skeleton. If you're set on getting the body, and it is at the edge of the water, a screw pump pulling water out of the tile where it lies will keep that tile dry enough for a dwarf to retrieve the body. Otherwise your options are to dam up the river, drain it underground or just engrave a slab for the 'cutter.
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »

If the brook freezes, there won't be a skeleton. If you're set on getting the body, and it is at the edge of the water, a screw pump pulling water out of the tile where it lies will keep that tile dry enough for a dwarf to retrieve the body. Otherwise your options are to dam up the river, drain it underground or just engrave a slab for the 'cutter.
You can't see a skeleton if you 'k' look at the brook, but it's there. Go to your stocks screen, locate the body in question, and focus on it. That's the location you dig out to get the skeleton. It'll appear when your miner digs past it.

If your dwarf's body has been washed off the map by the current, though, then it will indeed be gone, and you will have to make a memorial slab.

I recommend the slab option. Recovering bodies can be dangerous.