Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sealing in magma creatures?  (Read 791 times)

larry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sealing in magma creatures?
« on: July 25, 2008, 03:20:09 pm »

Is it possible to place glass floors over a magma flow into your base to stop the creatures from surfacing. I'm thinking something like the green house farm idea. Has anyone tried this? I'm starting to build it now, and advice would be nice. also, can a magma creature tunnel up into a magma forge, smelter, or glass kiln?

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sealing in magma creatures?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 03:53:09 pm »

I'm not sure whether floors would block the heat produced by the magma, if you built it right overhead.  However, if you've got everything blocked off, they can't get through any constructed walls or floors, be it wood or steel.  As for attacking your forges, however, I believe they can still reach your dwarves and even escape from the pit near your forges.  One way to avoid this is having a magma channel prepared with a magma proof wall grate or bars.  This will keep them from wandering into your workshop area, so your dwarves will be safe if you also block off the magma source proper.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

larry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 04:23:27 pm »

My problem is that I already built my magma forges and stuff without setting up the channel with grates. I don't know how to drain it or anything, so I'm trying to get around that. The glass floor I'm building over the pit seems ok so far.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:56:03 pm »

You mean you already filled it with magma?

One technique I used was that I didn't tunnel the whole way to the magma.  Instead, I smoothed the stone on the last square before the magma and carved it into a fortification. Magma can flow through, but nasties can't.

If you already filled it with magma, just remember this next time.

Jing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 05:13:11 pm »

alternatively, try and make some iron armor (at least a shield or something) and some cheap bolts and a crossbow.  Or an axe.  Magma creatures don't ever repopulate in my experience.

larry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 07:50:01 pm »

I thought you needed a warhammer or mace to kill fire people?

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 03:52:04 pm »

Anything that kills can kill but I personally recommend a marksdwarf because of the ranged attacks some of the magma critters have.