Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A different approach to character creation in adventure mode  (Read 2459 times)

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A different approach to character creation in adventure mode
« on: September 29, 2012, 09:04:39 am »

Instead of spawning an amnesiac out of nowhere with no discernable backstory, have players assume control of a pre-existing character.

The pro: Your character will have an entire life's worth of history, a family, hometown, lovers, grudges and ties to a village and civilization.
The con: Might require indexing or databasing of all (or most of the) characters in the world and will likely be extremely CPU/RAM intensive.

Character creation would become a character selection. I'm not sure how the site-finder code works, but maybe it could be adapted into a character-finder without too much troubles.
We would for instance be able to search for a skilled dwarven mason. Afterwards we could specify more and more until we find that one character that's perfect for our playthrough.

Right now this wouldn't add much to adventure mode, as we can already create any character we want and backstory isn't important yet. But i believe that once exposition and the characters themselves are fleshed out some more, assuming control of a character instead of spawning amnesiacs will be a great addition to DF.

And the foundation is already laid: In the arena we are already able to take control of any creature.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: A different approach to character creation in adventure mode
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2012, 09:25:28 am »

Taking control of a loaded creature is much different than locating some citizens that a player might want to play, listing them, and then handing control over to the player.

I'd still like to be able to generate adventurers ex nihlo, though otherwise this sounds good.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

GuardianTempest

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Daydreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2012, 09:32:46 am »

If this suggestion (and mine) makes it, I better be able to play as a feeble child who glares guilt into the creatures of the night. Sounds like a good idea, as certain pre-existing characters (actually just Morul) can also be a crutch when starting out so you don't have to grind on the local wildlife. Alternatively if you select 'that wrestler who lost all his limbs in the first siege' then you get an extra challenge.

Though I was anticipating something along the lines of 'you select what happened to you' ala LCS or something. Also take control of character aesthetics too.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 09:33:49 am »

Hm, what if instead of the game listing characters you could do a search by profession, then other skills possessed?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 04:11:24 pm »

Toady talked about his plans with adventurer mode character creation in DF Talk #6. Keep in mind, the podcast was recorded in the 40d days, so a few changes have already been realized.
I highlighted the relevant parts.

Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.