Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: New version: How much is TOO much?  (Read 5612 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: New version: How much is TOO much?
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2007, 01:29:00 pm »

Toady's today goes as far as 6am of tomorrow.

Grue

• Bay Watcher
  • Fucked Up
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2007, 01:47:00 pm »

Or, if you live in Europe it's like 3pm of tomorrow

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

Straight graphical tilesets, the way that they're handled now, seem like a disservice to the game.  If I could mix and match games into a Frankensteinian game of doom, I think it would be fun to put IVAN's graphics into Dwarf Fortress.  IVAN is kind of demented--it's a roguelike that was designed from the ground up with graphics in mind.  And while I absolutely can't stand the gameplay (more dangerous than DF or Nethack), it's a lot of fun seeing your sword is covered in blood and slime, and you're leaving blood trails on the ground.  DF could have a lot to gain from that sort of development...but on the other hand, it could mean less tiles on the screen.

OTOH, maybe I'm just showing my upbringing here, but I find ASCII to make more sense than graphics.  Less effort for my brain to parse?  Dunno.  And of course nothing beats imagination.  Meh.  In the end, no opinion.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Straight graphical tilesets, the way that they're handled now, seem like a disservice to the game.  If I could mix and match games into a Frankensteinian game of doom, I think it would be fun to put IVAN's graphics into Dwarf Fortress.  IVAN is kind of demented--it's a roguelike that was designed from the ground up with graphics in mind.  And while I absolutely can't stand the gameplay (more dangerous than DF or Nethack), it's a lot of fun seeing your sword is covered in blood and slime, and you're leaving blood trails on the ground.  DF could have a lot to gain from that sort of development...but on the other hand, it could mean less tiles on the screen.

OTOH, maybe I'm just showing my upbringing here, but I find ASCII to make more sense than graphics.  Less effort for my brain to parse?  Dunno.  And of course nothing beats imagination.  Meh.  In the end, no opinion.</STRONG>

yep, IVAN's gfx style would be perfect for DF.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]