Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sterile obsidian? Encased magma?  (Read 1183 times)

muzzz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sterile obsidian? Encased magma?
« on: September 18, 2012, 01:01:42 pm »

I've flooded the top level of a small magma pipe. But nothing is growing on the newly-formed-and-flooded obsidian floor. I'm not even seeing any moss or fungus. Yet the path I dug-out for the water (1 z-level above) is already showing tree growth. Is there something wrong with my obsidian?

During the flooding, a handful of obsidian tiles were created on top of the new obsidian layer. Naively, I ordered a dwarf to dig them out. This, of course, caused a small cave-in. But according to the combat report, it involved "boiling magma". I didn't even know magma could boil. Even more surprising, there was still a layer of obsidian between the cave-in and the nearest non-boiling magma. But what really blew my mind was that the miner, it seems, didn't even lose an eyebrow. Can anyone explain how an obsidian-on-obsidian cave-in causes harmless clouds of boiling magma?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sterile obsidian? Encased magma?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 01:08:40 pm »

Feature of cave-ins.  I had a dwarf recently try to put up an earthernware wall on the far side of a grate in a surface installation.  It collapsed and part of the report included "cloud of boiling magma" as well.  Was nowhere near magma at the time.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 01:11:22 pm »

The reason is because stone has:
Code: [Select]
[STATE_COLOR:GAS:ORANGE]
[STATE_NAME:GAS:boiling magma]
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling magma]
This means that any gas type material of stone, which includes cave-in dust, is labeled as "magma". Your miner simply got hit by a bit of cave-in dust, that's all.

As for why nothing is growing, I guess it's possible that your obsidian floors might be treated as constructed floors for purposes of plant growth, rendering them sterile.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Canadark

• Bay Watcher
  • meet me in the mead hall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 01:24:33 pm »

Odd. They aren't treated like a construction in any other sense.
You all do know that we everytime we gen a world in DF, a new universe is created somewhere, and everytime we delete a save we kill a whole world?
Aye, we are Armok, god of blood, evil, villager gutting, fortress building, legend making and elf thongs.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:15:33 pm »

Feature of cave-ins.  I had a dwarf recently try to put up an earthernware wall on the far side of a grate in a surface installation.  It collapsed and part of the report included "cloud of boiling magma" as well.  Was nowhere near magma at the time.
Happened to me too. Was digging through a hill when I caved in the roof. Boiling magma aboveground, hadn't even seen any yet.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 02:40:17 pm »

I've flooded the top level of a small magma pipe. But nothing is growing on the newly-formed-and-flooded obsidian floor. I'm not even seeing any moss or fungus. Yet the path I dug-out for the water (1 z-level above) is already showing tree growth. Is there something wrong with my obsidian?

Is there actually mud on the obsidian tiles?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 05:30:01 pm »

Is there actually mud on the obsidian tiles?

I was going to ask this.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Drazinononda

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm really too normal to play this game so much.`
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 08:47:56 pm »

Is the obsidian too hot to plant crops?
Children you rescue shouldn't behave like rabid beasts.  I guess your regular companions shouldn't act like rabid beasts either.
I think that's a little more impossible than I'm likely to have time for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 08:58:13 pm »

That shouldn't affect it, unless dwarves aren't pathing to the site or the crops get set on fire before being harvested.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:15:46 pm »

Plant growth is probably being suppressed because the tiles are part of the "magma pool" map feature - tiles that are part of map features can only naturally grow plants from that feature's populations ("cavern layer" feature populations include various subterranean creatures, shrubs, trees, and grasses), and magma pool populations only contain creatures (fire imps, magma crabs, etc.), not plants.

In other words, it's the same reason why discovering the 3rd cavern layer won't allow its nether-caps and/or blood thorns to start growing in the upper caverns.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.