Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Efficient Design 101- BATTLESTATIONS!  (Read 1178 times)

Tsuchigumo550

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Artificer
    • View Profile
Efficient Design 101- BATTLESTATIONS!
« on: September 18, 2012, 10:18:51 pm »

I wanted to discuss how to effectively keep your important dwarves where they should be outside of using burrows to cut down on the amount of time they spend doing useless stuff. A non-worker dwarf, i.e. a minitary dwarf, noble, vampire lever worker, should stay in one place.

The Military:
Crossbow regiments should have their training room, food/sleeping areas, fortifications to fire from, and any other needed structures located centrally near the entrance. A good design is the "horseshoe", where the front of the fort is a sealable 3x3 hall, and 3x1 fortifications are next to that. The fortifications are to fire from, and the room behind the fortifications is generally an eating area, then stairs to the training room, then finally rooms and beds off of that. Given that haulers bring supplies to them and they don't have hauling enabled (most of the time anyway) they should generally laze about within the confines of the horseshoe. Come an invasion, arrows will rain down from the entrance.

Close Range Regiments should be focused on a single outer hallway that leads to your fort and exits a bit away from the main entrance. This should also be a 3-tile wide hallway, and a trade depot should be built between the military and fort side entrance. From there, it's just barracks, sleeping quarters, food area, and stockpile.

---

Nobles should have self-containing offices. For the Sheriff, i had my jails divided into blocks. The fortress's main hallway connected to the jail hall, which had the warden's office, everything he needed, and three cell blocks containing 6 cells each. None of them were lavish, but a 3x4 room with all the needed supplies were given, along with a bed, table, and chair.

---

Vampires should just be sealed away indefinitely within the important lever room. Keep them happy and you can always be prepared.
There are words that make the booze plant possible. Just not those words.
Alright you two. Attempt to murder each other. Last one standing gets to participate in the next test.
DIRK: Pelvic thrusts will be my exclamation points.

Nuoya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient Design 101- BATTLESTATIONS!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 11:18:57 pm »

Marksdwarves are extremely derpy when it comes to fortifications. The best way to use them is to make an archery range that is 1x10 or so with a door at one end and the archery target at the other end. One of the long walls should be fortifications oriented towards whatever area you want to defend.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Efficient Design 101- BATTLESTATIONS!
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 12:39:54 am »

Personally I haven't seen a need for the Justice system to hacve special accomadations. They are (in my forts, at least) Random, trustworthy dwarves who aren't prone to tantruming, who are called on in times of stresss to slaughter and imprison random murderers. ANd Mandate violaters.

The military is gennerally focused in 2 areas for me. The Fortifications, for archers, nearrby so they can run to there posts, and 2, the entrance, where they are unleashed.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now