Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I stop migrants from arriving?  (Read 788 times)

Urist McMagicJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I stop migrants from arriving?
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:40:00 am »

So yeah, just that. I want to make a fortress completely populated by the starting seven, the pop cap with Lazy Newb Pack doesn't seem to do anything.

Halp me guys?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: How do I stop migrants from arriving?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:42:46 am »

Kill the migrants.

You will always get a migrant wave, i think, unless your civ is extinct.

With a low wealth you can deter migrants.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Urist McMagicJake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:46:32 am »

Advice on killing migrants?
I don't have stone so no mechanisms, that rules out an atom smasher....there is however a giant sponge...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 10:51:52 am »

Put them into a squad w/o armour.  send them to spongy.  Wall them in to starve.  Send them to fight the wildlife.  etc...
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

thiosk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »

I think both the child birth and migrant wave size are in need of rejiggering.  I think it should take about 3.5 years instead of 2 to get into the upper hundreds, but thats just my own thinking and preferences.  Big migrant waves are a thing and you can learn to live with them by simply changing how you prioritize your first 3 years.

As a stopgap, you can go into the d_init file and lower the childcap and baby cap, as well as the population cap.  For a new fortress, I set baby\child to 30/30, I think this gives nice demographics that don't get excessive, and then I change the popcap to 80.  This is a soft cap-- the migrants don't respect the caps until after a visit by a caravan, so when you are ready to open the floodgates again, it takes some time generally to get it started.

I do not reccomend setting the pop cap without setting the child cap.  The last fortress i did that on I ended up with about a 1:1 child adult ratio.