Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SOLVED] Single footed dwarf diagnosis infinite loop?  (Read 2223 times)

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SOLVED] Single footed dwarf diagnosis infinite loop?
« on: September 14, 2012, 10:29:54 am »

Urist Onefooted was never a very lucky dwarf. He came with a migrant wave severely bruised and with one foot missing, unable to stand. Was put to bed where he rested and was diagnosed. In fact, he was diagnosed several times, his z-health status constantly showing Sx (unable to stand) and C (requires crutch).

I set up a hospital, stocked with crutches and deconstructed his bed. He was promptly moved to the hospital bed. So far so good. In comes the chief medical dwarf, diagnoses him. The only effect is that his 'D' disappears for a brief period of time, only to reappear soon. He always 'requires a crutch' and is 'unable to stand'. Hospital stock shows 'Crutches 4/5'.

Onefooted is happy (in fact, ecstatic) and so am I because soon I'll have a Legendary Diagnostician. All the rich old dwarves will surely come to my fortress for a luxurious and expensive therapy.

The thing is that I'd also like to put Onefooted to work (he has some good skills.) Any tips how to make him use the damn crutch?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 04:01:22 am by praptak »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single footed dwarf diagnosis infinite loop?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 11:20:54 am »

Are these 4/5 crutches all you have? Maybe you should try to make more crutches or set the hospital inventory to 0 crutches. Not sure, but it could be that the dwarfs want to fill the hospital stocks first before they hand out crutches.

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 11:52:46 am »

Are these 4/5 crutches all you have? Maybe you should try to make more crutches or set the hospital inventory to 0 crutches. Not sure, but it could be that the dwarfs want to fill the hospital stocks first before they hand out crutches.

Thanks, I will try that (but only after I get my Legendary Diagnostician!  :D )

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 02:04:46 pm »

If you're only looking at the global Health screen, then you aren't getting all the information.

Go to the actual wounded dwarf, and open up his/her individual health screen.  v, select dwarf, z, h.  There are 4 sections.  The third section shows what health care jobs are needed.  The fourth section shows what jobs have already been done, by whom, when.

The third section is what you want.  If it says "Diagnosis required", then nothing will happen until there's been a diagnosis.  After that, there may be other jobs required... but sometimes, those jobs don't get done in time, and then a new diagnosis is required.  This is probably what you're seeing right now.

The fix is to have more doctors, who aren't busy doing other things, so that the patient gets treated sooner.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 03:36:53 pm »

If you're only looking at the global Health screen, then you aren't getting all the information.
[...]
The third section is what you want.  If it says "Diagnosis required", then nothing will happen until there's been a diagnosis.  After that, there may be other jobs required... but sometimes, those jobs don't get done in time, and then a new diagnosis is required.  This is probably what you're seeing right now.

This sounds exactly like what I'm seeing, thanks! Too bad I can't check it right now. Anyway, it seems that deliberately disabling those other jobs is a fast way to train Diagnosticians.

praptak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 04:01:02 am »

The fix is to have more doctors, who aren't busy doing other things, so that the patient gets treated sooner.

Thanks, solved! It seems that dwarves are very strict about who can give you a crutch, probably to avoid expensive lawsuits by patients. Only a qualified dwarven medicine doctor with an appropriate skill enabled (not sure which one, I enabled all on a bunch of dwarves) can hand out crutches.