Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beached orcas  (Read 1134 times)

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
Beached orcas
« on: September 15, 2012, 02:51:30 pm »

I was just getting my workshops ready, when i checked the beach and found a dead sperm whale.  unfortunatly i couldn't get to it in time to butcher it before it rotted to a partial skeleton, so im waiting for it to turn into bones to carve later. while i was waiting  however, i looked under the water and saw a group of orcas, then i saw one after one swim onto land and die. but my dwarves dont seem to want to collect them. do i have to modify any settings or orders?
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beached orcas
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 02:53:16 pm »

I was just getting my workshops ready, when i checked the beach and found a dead sperm whale.  unfortunatly i couldn't get to it in time to butcher it before it rotted to a partial skeleton, so im waiting for it to turn into bones to carve later. while i was waiting  however, i looked under the water and saw a group of orcas, then i saw one after one swim onto land and die. but my dwarves dont seem to want to collect them. do i have to modify any settings or orders?

Orders--> Refuse-->Gather refuse from outside. They'll go butcher that skeleton too. Make sure the corpses aren'r forbidden, of course.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2012, 02:59:31 pm »

Thanks. :)
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2012, 03:03:58 pm »

Shame you didn't get to that sperm whale. Its meat could have fed your fortress for a year or two.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2012, 03:06:53 pm »

Shame you didn't get to that sperm whale. Its meat could have fed your fortress for a year or two.
I know :(
But i suppose i can have it made into a nice craft when my bone carvers skill is high enough.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2012, 03:09:56 pm »

I know :(
But i suppose i can have it made into a nice craft when my bone carvers skill is high enough.

A lot of crafts. IIRC that's not bugged, so bone crafts use one bone, not the whole stack. Failing that, bolts.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."