Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Playing as a dragon in adventure mode  (Read 5832 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Playing as a dragon in adventure mode
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:53 pm »

So how do I make dragons able to grasp with their jaws?
Paste this into your body_default.txt
Code: [Select]
[BODY:MOUTH_GRASP]
[BP:MOUTH:mouth:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][MOUTH][SMALL][EMBEDDED][APERTURE][CATEGORY:MOUTH][GRASP]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:20]
Then go into the dragon creature and change the [BODY:X:X:X] to have MOUTH_GRASP instead of MOUTH. That should allow them to grab things with their mouths (though they will then wield weapons with their mouths). If you would prefer to have them grasp things with their front feet then paste this into body_default.txt
Code: [Select]
[BODY:DRAGON]
[BP:UB:upper body:upper bodies][UPPERBODY][CATEGORY:BODY_UPPER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]
[BP:LB:lower body:lower bodies][CON:UB][LOWERBODY][CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:1000]
[BP:HD:head:STP][CON:UB][HEAD][CATEGORY:HEAD]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:300]
[BP:RA:right front leg:STP][CON:UB][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:LEG_FRONT]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:900]
[BP:LA:left front leg:STP][CON:UB][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:LEG_FRONT]
[BP:RH:right front foot:right front feet][CON:RA][STANCE][RIGHT][CATEGORY:FOOT_FRONT][GRASP]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:120]
[BP:LH:left front foot:left front feet][CON:LA][STANCE][LEFT][CATEGORY:FOOT_FRONT][GRASP]
[BP:RL:right rear leg:STP][CON:LB][LIMB][RIGHT][CATEGORY:LEG_REAR]
[BP:LL:left rear leg:STP][CON:LB][LIMB][LEFT][CATEGORY:LEG_REAR]
[BP:RF:right rear foot:right rear feet][CON:RL][STANCE][RIGHT][CATEGORY:FOOT_REAR]
[BP:LF:left rear foot:left rear feet][CON:LL][STANCE][LEFT][CATEGORY:FOOT_REAR]
And then replace QUADRUPED in the [BODY:X:X:X] with DRAGON. Basically all I'm doing is adding the [GRASP] token to the body parts that I want the dragon to grasp with.

Furthermore, will dragon adventurers be able to butcher sapients if I adjust their ethics? Could I make it so that they can eat corpses and body parts without butchering?
Adventurers sadly can never butcher sapients, regardless of ethics, nor can they eat corpses. You could potentially set up a reaction that would take body parts and turn them into food though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »

Thanks! Now I'm gonna go see if I understand that enough to make it work.

Edit: Not only did I understand it, I also made them able to grasp with their tails, too.

Now what I want to do is get a giant backpack (saddlebag?) that the dragon can use to store loot and stuff, as well as some of the large armor I think might already exist in game.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:52:07 pm by Pyro627 »
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 01:53:04 pm »

Wait, shit, I think that I just made Hydras able to use weapons.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 02:04:56 pm »

This is the reason why I made new body parts with GRASP and then assigned them only to dragons, that way you don't make everything that has a tail be able to wield weapons.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 02:13:04 pm »

This is the reason why I made new body parts with GRASP and then assigned them only to dragons, that way you don't make everything that has a tail be able to wield weapons.

No, I did that. What happened was, I was using the find function to get to the entry for dragons, and at one point I ended up at Hydra instead, since Hydras has 'dragon' in the description. When I tested it, I realized that I hadn't changed the dragon entry from mouth to mouth_grasp, so I was worried that I had actually made the change on the Hydra's entry instead, if that makes any sense. I was half-joking about it.

Anyway, does anybody know if dragons can wear backpacks? The wiki mentions that dragons sometimes wear 'large' armor, so is there a large backpack as well?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2012, 02:15:58 pm »

I'm not that up to date on my adventure mode knowledge, but IIRC backpacks can be worn regardless of size.

As for armor you should be able to wear it, but it's going to be practically impossible to find any large enough for a dragon without a dragon civ or something similar making it.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2012, 02:22:28 pm »

Thanks, got it.

Now that you mention it, what I'd really like to see is a playable civ with just one dragon and then a ton of slaves under him, so that you can dig out a lair and sack villages and hoard treasure.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2012, 04:30:01 pm »

Thanks, got it.

Now that you mention it, what I'd really like to see is a playable civ with just one dragon and then a ton of slaves under him, so that you can dig out a lair and sack villages and hoard treasure.

If you create an intelligent megabeast with the [POWER] tag and have a civ with a VARIABLE_POSITION tag indicating its law-giver position, that megabeast will sometimes take over the civ (the civ might also need to be okay with murder in its ethic section, for some reason).  You won't be able to give it orders when it shows up in Fortress mode, but it will be friendly and help fight off invaders.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2012, 04:48:13 pm »

Alternatively, you could have an extremely rare caste that is the only caste allowed to be the civ's despot.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2012, 06:16:34 pm »

But how can you be sure that that particular caste will even be at the fort?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2012, 06:24:40 pm »

You can't, but it'll work in worldgen
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.
Pages: 1 [2]