Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Marksdwarf in action  (Read 679 times)

cats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Marksdwarf in action
« on: September 12, 2012, 06:39:16 pm »

Marksdwarves! Go kill the troglodytes!

I observe the first to arrive on the scene. He's properly equipped, and well-trained with professional levels in marksdwarf, archery and ambush. At MAXIMUM range (plus a little) he starts firing at the lead trog. Most of his bolts miss, breaking a tile or two away, but a few hit and the trog limps away slowly (back toward his trog friends). Now out of arrows and with no backup, Urist McRambo charges the trogs and gets slaughtered as he tries to beat them with his crossbow.

It was a wide open field and a clear win for the dwarf vs four troglodytes. Instead, he injured one and died.

Answer: more marksdwarves!

Still, I have to ask if this is a usual level of dwarven dumbassery. I think this one took a few too many bolt recoils to the head.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Marksdwarf in action
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 06:41:08 pm »

just use Urist McAxeDwarf

he is best when fighting anything.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 06:42:40 pm »

I think it depends on what his order was.  If he was ordered to KILL the trogodolyte, than yes, after running out of ammo, he will engage in melee wielding the butt of his crossbow.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 06:48:07 pm »

Possibly, he was spending long enough fumbling a reload into his crossbow that the trogs got to him before he could fire again. This is why crossbowdwarves require some combination of cover, meatshields, or massive numbers to succeed.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 10:18:28 pm »

Both station and kill orders can result in marksdwarves chasing critters to melee when they run out of ammo.

Solution is to issue a station/move order somewhere safe, but nearby, wait for most of them to arrive, then issue a 2nd station/move order to put them line-of-sight with the enemy.

Once they start shooting - cancel their existing orders so that the squad is set back to "inactive".  They'll continue shooting until they run out of bolts, then they'll run away.

After the critters are dead, issue a new station/move order to move the squad back to a safe location (such as a meeting hall).  This lessens the impact of the bug where idle dwarves, who are off-duty, try to idle at their last "station" point.