Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Love adventure mode, thousands of questions  (Read 2412 times)

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Love adventure mode, thousands of questions
« on: November 18, 2012, 06:27:32 pm »

Hey guys - long time fort mode, first time adventure mode player here. I'm loving it so far but I've got a ton of questions. If you guys help me out I'll be very grateful.

1. Is there any way to minimize/organise your inventory? I have about a thousand coins and prepared food that just clutters the whole place up. It'd be nice if I could just forget about it somewhere.
2. Is there any way to increase carrying capacity? I hate being slow and it's putting me off looting anything.
3. Will shops ever stock anything they get only from trading with other civs (e.g. steel weapons in a human shop)? I always check but I've not seen any yet.
4. Is there any negative to having your buddies killed in a fight? I'm guessing they don't respawn but aside from that, are there any downsides?
5. Is there any way to auto-eat or auto-drink? I hate having to stop travelling every few tiles just to get rid of hunger or thirst.

That's enough for now - thanks in advance.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Love adventure mode, thousands of questions
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 06:52:14 pm »

1. Not really. I sometimes pick up bags and put all my gems in one and all coins in another or something, but it isn't really more organized. If you have too many different coins, you could buy something expensive in a shop and spend a lot of spare coins, then sell it back and get a stack of coins.
2. Strength reduces slowdown, so does agility. The simplest way is to pick up less useless stuff, though. If I have too much souvenirs, I just store them in a keep or something like that.
3. Humans don't know the steel recipe, so they would have to trade with a dwarven civ. I don't know if dwarfs sell steel weapons, they seem to be rare enough if you play as a dwarf. So the answer is: maybe, but I haven't ever seen it.
4. The downside is your crushing self-doubt as you see another one of your closest friends brutally murdered, unable to help them. With no one at your side, you fears may overwhelm you at night.
5. Nope. If you're a vampire, you only need to drink about once a day, though.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
  • The Truth is always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:03:33 pm »

Whoo! Adventure Mode all the time! Lemme help you out with some bits of advice:

1. I suggest dropping the coins and clutter. Things like money and clothes are just for show in this game. I suggest only carrying around your armor, maybe 2-3 waterskins full of your liquid of choice, and a reasonable stack of food. All you need is speed and the bare essentials. Besides, if you want to shop, it's far easier to barter stuff that you've picked up, like armor and weapons.

2. I think strength has everything to do with that. I've always noticed that armor in this game works like the armor skill in Elder Scrolls games, though. High skill = armor becoming just about weightless. Or rather, your character is much more accustomed to being in it so it doesn't hamper his speed as much. I suggest carrying 2-3 shields, donning a full set of armor, and sitting next to a harmless wilderness critter so that your shield, armor, and dodge go up. It'll elevate your stats and make wearing a full set of armor much less annoying.

3. Screw shops! If you need an item, go to a city or fort and raid the castle. All of the stuff laying around is free! You can take all of it and nobody will give a damn. Bandits and dungeons can also give you reasonable gear as well. Free and plentiful!

4. The only downside to having your buddies die is that you'll have to take the time to replace him. If that's the price you gotta pay to thrive and survive, it's really not a bad thing. I've never had dying companions noticeably affect my reputation, but I think it actually does. Might want to research that on the wiki :P

5. Nope. But if you want less hassle, drink the blood of a vampire and become one yourself. They only have to suck the blood of living things and it's not going to kill you if you spend two weeks not doing it. Did I mention that you don't have to sleep or breath? No waking up to an ambush with all of your limbs cut off because you don't have to sleep! Hurray!
Does wisdom perhaps appear upon the Earth as a raven inspired by the scent of carrion?

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 07:09:38 pm »

Thanks for the replies guys! I'm chuffed with such a quick response.

I'll take all of that on board - I'm not quite ready to be a vampire yet. Another two questions:

1. If I drop an item somewhere, does it stay there permanently? Could I use a conveniently placed abandoned building as a storage room of sorts? I like collecting trophies but don't want to carry them around...
2. Is there a particular food that's light and provides good sustenance? So far I've been buying stacks of plants and butchering where I can. Am I missing some trick or is it all much of a muchness?

My adventure game is going very well - my first companion was a goblin prisoner who proceeded to lose one hand, an eye and a foot to some random bandit in his first. Strangely, he's the only one who's never died. He's racked up an extraordinary amount of kills by biting people in the throat. Such a hero.

Thanks again guys I really appreciate it.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2012, 07:44:11 pm »

1. Yes!
2. Well, you can compare the weights if you examine the items yourself, but I don't think there is a huge difference. You might be carrying too much food, but you'll figure out a good amount quickly.
I got used to eating whenever I find food. So I've got a few rations in my backpack, but if I kill a wild animal, I butcher and eat it even if I'm not hungry. The same works if I find some unguarded berries in a farmer's house, I drink whenever I pass a well or a river etc. It saves inventory space and you can go longer without getting hungry. Just don't overdo it or you'll put on weight.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 08:59:26 pm »

2. I've noticed berrys, light plants, and cheap meat aren't as satiating as a good dwarven syrup-roast.  Some food definately carry more bang for your buck.  I suppose the real question is not potency, but finding the best weight/satiation ratio.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 11:55:43 pm »

You don't really need to keep drinks in waterskins; you can just put them in your backpack with no ill effect that I've seen. The game doesn't seem to draw distinctions between quantity of liquids either; a spattering of blood on your teeth is as refreshing as a sip from your waterskin, apparently. Be careful about which blood you drink though, since some blood conveys effects you might not really enjoy.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Commodore1024

• Bay Watcher
  • Collector of Noses
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:07:02 pm »

1. A good place to keep your loot is the empty lairs of beasts/night creatures that you have killed. The items stay in there forever (unless you pick them up, of course) and anything you put in there won't rot.

gman8181

• Bay Watcher
  • Mr. Peanut - The Peanut Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 05:01:48 pm »

Keep in mind becoming a vampire or necromancer will lock your physical attributes place.
Quote from: GUNINANRUNIN
Sure thing peanut man!

Bobba

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:06:04 am »

Hello i have a few questions too.

1)Is there a list which metal is better than an other? i have heard steel is really good but when i have a iron sword and i look around i dont know is a bismuth, rose gold or silver sword better than the iron?

And if a finely craftet cooper or bronze sword better than a normal craftet iron sword?

2) I have killed a Vampire and drunk his blood, then i wait a day and kill some bandits and drink there blood, but i dont become a vamp, what have i do wrong?

3) I was in a Human Town in the Fortress Dungeon and steal some armor and weapons that i want to sell on the market, but as i leave the dungeon the hole town was masacred by hundreds of zombies, where came then from?? And can this happen to the others town too? There is a Necromance Tower in the near, attack they from there?

4) Is this a bug that i can wield a two handed sword and a shield? And is a one handed sword better than a two-handed sword?

PS: Sorry for my english  ::)

Garn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 10:40:48 am »

1. candy cane>steel>iron/bronze=bismuth bronze>copper>silver>wood
for blunt weapons and misc objects silver>copper>bronze=bismuth bronze>steel>iron>wood>candy cane
2. based on your disease resistance you have a chance to not become a vampire when you drink their blood, you can counteract this by drinking their blood alot; a superior alternative to becoming a vampire is becoming a necromancer, who never has to eat or drink and will remain friendly with humans as long as they don't animate corpses and humans aren't killed by undead around them; vampires, keep in mind, are incapable of gaining physical attributes, and are not automatically brung to the attribute cap upon contraction of vampirisim, they're just raised somewhat high
3. it must've been a necromancer siege
4. its not a bug, you can totally do that, but you'll get a penalty to hitting stuff, just use a longsword or no shield; same goes with all multigrasp weapons, which are totally not large corpses or objects that use misc object user skill

some responses to earlier questions

if you drop an item, it will only stay there if it is on the same tile as a creature's lair or a bandit camp or a labyrinth; if it is not in a creature's lair it will be scattered around the tile, and if you drop it in a lair/labyrinth, it gets scattered around there only instead; but i haven't tested dropping stuff around a labyrinth so don't take me word for that particular part

as far as you should be concerned shops will never have steel anything, and especially not candy cane stuff

the only way to increase your carrying "capacity" is to get more strength or some agility to counter the speed loss, if you're being held down by vanity items that weigh something, such as items that are not gems, money, or teeth, then you can drop them in a creature's lair or something as I'd mentioned earlier