Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL? Hurray! Or so I though. Its not appearing anywhere.  (Read 597 times)

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile

As the title might have implied, I am trying to mod in a few new ores, and modify existing ones, using the 'ALLUVIAL' enviroment token. What this should mean is that the ores will show up in river beds, beaches, swamps, etc. Any place where large volumes of water pass through.

Foremost ore I am trying to make is goethite, one of the most common iron ores on earth, which occurs in bogs, iron-rich soils, river beds, cave floors, etc.

Spoiler: raws (click to show/hide)

However its not showing up. I have occasionaly seen it show up on the embark screen, but never actualy in the world itself (generated with 100 mineral scarcity, at that setting pretty much anything that can appear, appears).

So, am I misunderstanding what this ALLUVIAL does, or it a work-in-progress, or perhaps only intended for entities to have easier acces to ores?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
Re: ENVIRONMENT:ALLUVIAL? Hurray! Or so I though. Its not appearing anywhere.
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:46:45 pm »

Alluvial was broken a few versions back, so toady modified the minerals that occur there to occur in other places.  I didn't know that it was ever fixed, however I have seen a wiki entry for it recently on df wiki that didn't mention it being broke.
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 08:15:04 pm »

Hm bummer, it certainly seems broken. Will update the wiki if I get no response here claiming the opposite.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Igfig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 12:46:51 pm »

I have heard of people finding jade (an ALLUVIAL-only gem) in small quantities since .31.19. Supposedly, alluvial minerals can show up in some clay and sedimentary layers, but not all of them. Nobody seems to know the precise criteria. Maybe it has something to do with aquifers? Actual bodies of water don't seem to affect it, though.

You can always make use of ENVIRONMENT_SPEC to manually set where a specific mineral will show up, of course.

Oh, also: It'll be easier to find your alluvial minerals (if they do exist) by setting everything else's frequency very low, or removing inorganic_mineral.txt and inorganic_gem.txt entirely. There's only room for a finite number of mineral veins and clusters per world tile, and having a lot of high-frequency minerals means that they all have to compete for that space.