Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Automatic dwarven 3D printer  (Read 8436 times)

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Automatic dwarven 3D printer
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2012, 12:38:57 am »

I haven't been doing that partly for the challenge and partly because I haven't found any iron yet, so they're my best source. Of course, I'm cheating myself some adamantine, so I suppose a bit more couldn't hurt...

As for walling off the surface, that makes it difficult to get sufficient wood for the windmills I'm building, which are still unfinished. The caverns are being held hostage by a giant spider forgotten beast, so there's no going down there until I figure out how to train marksdwarves.

I've made a fair amount of progress, but am temporarily halted by the fact that trees have begun to grow underneath where I have a bunch of floodgates. There's nothing to do except wait for them to grow tall enough to cut down, since I really don't want to have to find out where the floodgates are linked to, deconstruct the whole system and then rebuild it. I've got the first two parts of the minecart system set up, but I'm waiting to finish the third until I finish the windmills and the fourth until I get rid of those trees, as I don't want anyone stuck between a tree and a hatch that's just been linked to a lever. I've tested the bridges without water and they seem to work as intended, but I can't say for sure until I get the whole system running.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2012, 04:05:38 pm »

Okay, posting again to let people know that this is still alive. I ended up stopping for a while because linking up all the hatches was just taking so long, but I've gotten back to it.

There isn't really anything interesting to see that I haven't already posted pictures of, but I've linked all the bridges to the first pressure plate near the minecart and I've finished about a fifth of the pressure plates, maybe. It's hard to tell because I didn't set them up in any particular order. I'm also linking some levers up to the different systems so I can run the printer manually if the automatic system has some bugs in it still.

What's still left to do is to hook up the rest of the floor hatches, link the third plate to the pumps (which will take like five seconds, I just haven't gotten around to it yet) and to build and link to the second plate bridges in front of all the floodgates underneath all the pumps. This last I was waiting until I'd linked the first plate to everything to do, since I didn't want a lot of bridges lying around to clog up the linking menu.

I've given the dwarves [SPEED:3] to hopefully make this a bit faster.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2012, 06:13:55 pm »

You receive a masterwork cat tallow roast. I am extremely impressed by this idea... and would greatly like to see a video of you pulling it off. :P
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2012, 10:43:18 pm »

I've finished everything but the hatch covers, which are about 1/3 done now. I'm starting to dig the drain too. Next is the dry test, then I add the magma.
Live bait.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2012, 03:40:35 am »

...Wow. That is one seriously over-complex yet undeniably awesome (i.e. dorfy) project indeed.  8)
The mind boggles...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2012, 08:35:57 am »

Hatches almost 2/3 done, working on a couple of safety features to make the various parts of the thing easier to clean out if necessary. If the trees haven't grown by the time I finish, I'll just pasture some horses down there until everything's gone.
Live bait.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2012, 08:51:12 am »

This is too dorfy for words. Kudos to you.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))
Pages: 1 2 [3]