Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is the maximum amount of Dwarves you can have in 1 fortress?  (Read 7855 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is the maximum amount of Dwarves you can have in 1 fortress?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2012, 11:49:01 pm »

Is it just me? My FPS sucks by 30 Dwarves. IDK how you guys can get 200.

I get down to around 20-25 FPS by the time I hit 100 dwarves.  It doesn't go down very quickly from there.

(But I have temperature / weather turned on.)

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2012, 02:46:08 am »

don't forget, each of those dwarves needs to have four peices of clothing on top of their yearly food and water booze requirement, to stop them from getting "the crazies" so now your farm space is going to be pushed even further between food-drink-clothes.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 10:33:50 am »

Is it just me? My FPS sucks by 30 Dwarves. IDK how you guys can get 200.
Some things that increase FPS:
*small sites
*shallow sites
*having few tiles of moving water -- a major river by itself doesn't drain FPS, it's the less-than-7/7 tiles near the edge that do that. If you block that off, the river water becomes as easy to process as the cavern water.
*fewer categories of stuff. This is the thing that eats FPS over the years, as every material / item combination that enters your map needs to be accounted for.

Clothing can be simplified into one or two examples of each body part covering, or you could go as far as only having clothing for the upper body, lower body, and feet.
Leather can be simplified as far down as being essentially its own material (as the metals are), or you could have most creatures make 'plain leather' and put the rest of the creatures into whatever category you like, maybe leaving a few species for colour.
Toys and instruments can be removed entirely. Unlike leather, you can't change the used material directly -- you have to reduce the number of stone types.
Stones and gems can be simplified by removing unwanted entries. Playing with high mineral scarcity will also reduce the variety of gems and stones coming onto your map.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2012, 01:19:24 pm »

I play with a popcap of 50, but then my fortresses tend to have 250-300 dwarves in them over time through natural growth.

My fortresses also are very long term things.

GoombaGeek

• Bay Watcher
  • Horrors! Crundles in the caverns!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2012, 01:26:38 pm »

Challenge:
- Play with modded dwarves that become adults at 1 year old.
- Disable the popcap and babycap or set them to large numbers.
- Encourage dwarves to be social so they marry and breed a lot.
- Determine how high population you can go before you crash the game or stop time.

I'd recommend embarking on a site with several soil layers and a water source so that you can implement massive farming projects and have a backup to booze. To conserve FPS for dwarves, I'd recommend killing all pet and stray animals. I don't know if anyone has stress-tested the game like this before by trying to simulate hundreds of dwarves.

Bonus challenge: use a loyalty cascade to kill off 99% of the massive population, and compare FPS from the start of the game to the peak FPS and ending FPS.
- Remove [MULTIPLE_LITTERS_RARE]
My wooden badge was delicious.
Pages: 1 [2]