Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Devlog Discussion Megathread  (Read 1284 times)

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
Devlog Discussion Megathread
« on: August 22, 2012, 08:17:26 am »

I really think it would be a good time to do one of these: basically, a "devlog watch", where the devlog updates can be discussed as a whole.

Anyways.

8/21/12:
I still have a few things I'd like to do with tracking, but I'm going to jump back up to the larger scale issues for a while now, so that the game'll achieve some level of coherence. First up, the surrounding situation at the beginning needs to be revealed somewhat, to give you some leads to follow, for instance, and you'll need a few ways to learn about anything that changes (like a nearby town being invaded). The two trickiest parts with starting exposition will be (1) the first game you play after world generation, since the world is passing from vague to specific at that point and no actual events are underway (aside from general states of war, etc), and (2) how to deal with the player choosing a starting civilization which is just absolutely dull. We're still considering how to best handle it. Overall, we're hoping to flesh out some possible courses of action that resemble a successful adventure from start to finish, probably something culminating at a goblin site or human castle, and then to get the humans to patch themselves up if their civilization survives all the horrors (all the repopulation and succession stuff). The main goal is to try to keep everything a strict simulation that doesn't warp too deeply around the player, while at the same time allowing you to experience something more involved than simple one-off quests (or random fortress invasions for that matter). I'm going to try to avoid sinking into tracking/sneaking/etc. style mechanics again until we have the full skeleton in. We'll see how that turns out...

Sounds to me like this could be easily segwayed into a sort of tutorial. In any case, I've always been a fan of starting quests, in adventuring games, and by giving you starting leads the game'll have a lot more "purpose".

Plus, making Adventure Mode more of an adventure mode, and not an open ended kill stuff mode with no real conclusion or closure, is something we've needed for a while.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Devlog Discussion Megathread
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 08:51:16 am »

AWYUKFBGOIVRAQKSDDVKJ

WHY DO YOU HATE MY EYES???!!!
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 08:58:58 am »

AWYUKFBGOIVRAQKSDDVKJ

OP is clearly an eyecist, but I have no idea how he's attacking your eyes. Genetic targeting systems mayhap?
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 09:28:44 am »

AWYUKFBGOIVRAQKSDDVKJ

OP is clearly an eyecist, but I have no idea how he's attacking your eyes. Genetic targeting systems mayhap?

My idea is that we would use a special color to post devlog quotes...cyan not good?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 09:48:46 am »

Cyan might also not work well for people not using the default Darkling scheme, or whatever it's called again.  TBH, it'd be hard to get such a consensus to be friendly to all used alternatives to the default, of course.  Maybe quoted with a URL link to (is it #Anchored?[1]) the Devlog item concerned, and it being written in Bolded text within the quote (except for comments by the poster, see below), perhaps?

Also, that's a big block.  Reformatting into paragraphs allowed, by the reposter, who can also provide sub-headings of his/her choice, or other in-line relevant commentary, in non-bolded (otherwise distinct) text.  But that to be kept to a minimum and be aimed at increasing understanding (e.g. "This relates to 08/11/2012, with creatures now leaving many tracks", if an item came along that re-referenced this without being specific), most of the immediate commentary should lie outside and after the quote.  Or left for others to make their own commentary further down the thread.

I think I've thought too much about this.

An argument against this thread is that there's a separate "repost" elsewhere on the Forum by Toady for (most, if not all) Devlog announcements (may have been squished into a "Release foo.bar.baz just came out!" post).  And there's Future Of The Fortress and similar threads, accordingly.

(I've also not often been able to get "in on the ground floor" on many megathreads, and don't like barging in before I have read through all of one, and yet find it hard to read through it all without losing track of where I am, especially when the thread idles away from the "unread posts" first page.   I can't help feeling that I'm "PTW"ing, for all that I think I'm helping here.)

[1] Quickly checking the HTML source, no it apparently isn't.  Ah well.

Valtam

• Bay Watcher
  • [VALUE:LEISURE_TIME:50]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 10:57:37 am »

Quote from: dhokarena56
Sounds to me like this could be easily segwayed into a sort of tutorial. In any case, I've always been a fan of starting quests, in adventuring games, and by giving you starting leads the game'll have a lot more "purpose".

Plus, making Adventure Mode more of an adventure mode, and not an open ended kill stuff mode with no real conclusion or closure, is something we've needed for a while.

I'm feeling comfortable at the thought of Toady straying from the all-too-common console RPG tropes, and while I'm not against them, perhaps he's thinking in a way of adapting some coherence and plotlines inside the adventure, without removing the fun of it. I understand the OP idea, like being able to learn the not-so-basic ropes while also being prone to be killed; If you somehow begin your adventure at the coldest edge of the map, where water is scarce and there's an evil frontier and powerful political enemies, well, that would be like beginning in hard-mode: more Fun, but also more chances of ending your adventure way too soo, and this should not be changed.

What I'm trying to say is that difficulty should not be scaled down. Something I love from DF (and I think a few people agree) is that, being a simulation, is strikingly hard and you can die anytime, you're not the scrawny spiky-haired hero who's just eager for innocence and love and gets prophecied to beat the Mother of all Evil with an useless contraption of a weapon, but you're just a mortal, just like any unsung hero has died way before facing a dragon, in a world populated by their zombie counterparts, railgunners and lightsaber-wielding lashers. Yes, demigods ought to be kept until better leveling and survival chances arise, and even then, Achilles died by an all-too-unnecesary arrow to the heel, and no more adventures for him (was Paris a kobold marksman?).
But I'm all in for fleshing out, and this is just great. Also, nothing stops us to beat our enemies to death with a mule bone scepter, so I'm not against useless contraptions.

Giving you an state of affairs in the Civ choosing screen would be neat, as Toady said, something quite similar to the Embark Screen, but obviously with relevant information. What should be displayed? Just suggesting:
- Capital city, population (perhaps both historical and non-historical), number of owned sites, political landscape (here we get a glimpse of the number or relative strenght of the enemies, maybe the looser we get the info the better we can use it), and, I don't know, something to add some flavor, like current leader or estimated wealth (well, the last one could be there in a later update, as soon as the economy gets revamped).

Those are my two (lead) cents.
my first quest was to seige a nemacrcors tower i killed 3 nemacrcors the got killed by a zombie fly.
How on earth did you manage to do that twice?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 12:59:31 pm »

Devlog posts, now come in Microcline Edition.

Nagidal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My gaming channel
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 06:30:02 am »

09/09/2012 ToadyOne:

It's an ongoing process of arranging things and so on. I think I'm going to mess with watch towers and trenches tonight. Here are some goblin living quarters, which I made with an adaptation of the old dungeon code: A picture. Most of the goblins are out and about elsewhere, causing trouble in the world mostly, but some of them are hanging out in their little cell-homes. I expect they won't always be so item-free as they are now.

Some of the goblin's rooms look more like prison cells. I also thought we'd have some ramps here and there to make the goblin's dungeons more 3D
I stream most of my DF sessions: gaming.youtube/nagidal146, they are archived on my youtube channel. (Dwarf Fortress Tutorials)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 11:07:10 am »

>:(

It's right here in non-eye-gouging colours.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth