Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Holy Moly husks  (Read 1670 times)

sum1won

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Holy Moly husks
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:04:04 am »

Embarked with a tiny corner sinister.  Occasionally, some foul ash would float around.  Never was a problem.  This time, the foul ash hit the dwarven caravan just as they were entering to trade.  most !!FUN!! I've had in years.

How do you people survive huskifying clouds?  Also, are the husks supposed to be fighting eachother? Because they are.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Holy Moly husks
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:06:44 am »

AHAHHAAHAAH! YOU 'RE GOING TO DIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats over. Husks are considered to tbe the end all be all of destruction. They zombify, but they retain all health, equipment, and skills. They can only be killed through isection or decapitation. They will initially fight each other, but it wont last long. Soon they'll come for you.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 12:30:30 am »

Basically, what you do is tunnel deep, and hide. Hope some gopher gets lucky and bites them in half. Otherwise, abandon all hope for those upon the surface.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 07:16:35 am »

Husks are opposed to all life, but don't count as dead. They do seem to prioritize non-husks they see, though...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:32:35 am »

There can be only one!

...Because any more would be overkill, even for the new and improved evil areas. I have an embark which rains a lot and is covered in thralling clouds (so it all ends up on the ground as well) but haven't really worked with it yet. There is also a cave halfway across the map containing at least one troll, and also beak dogs. Very nasty.

I guess getting visitors to the site underground as soon as possible would be good. Some quick testing on that site has shown that clouds can only roll down one level of ramps, at least when the ramps go straight into the earth. So for starters you'd need to confine the wagon spawn to a small area on the map edge and then dig the first ramp four tiles from the edge. Then stick a roof over that part, to stop the wagon-pullers from treading on piles of thralling dust. Migrants, liaisons, and diplomats will still spawn anywhere.

Then you'd need to expand those ramps to cover the whole site, funnelling all visitors into a subterranean tile on their second step into the map.

The trick is surviving long enough to do all that.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 09:25:04 am »

Wait, did that make a Wagon Foul Ash Husk?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:36:14 am »

...That is awesome.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 02:36:23 pm »

Husks are opposed to all life, but don't count as dead. They do seem to prioritize non-husks they see, though...
Technically they are [CRAZED], which makes them hostile to just about everything , living or dead. I believe they are at peace with other husks of their same type (similar to transformed werebeasts), but elsewise they are hostile to everything.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »

I've seen husks fight when they run out of non-husks.
Sig

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:58:28 pm »

Technically they are [CRAZED], which makes them hostile to just about everything , living or dead. I believe they are at peace with other husks of their same type (similar to transformed werebeasts), but elsewise they are hostile to everything.

No, husks are [NOT_LIVING] and [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE]. They don't have [CRAZED].

Code: [Select]
[SYNDROME]
[CE_FLASH_TILE:TILE:165:3:0:0:FREQUENCY:2000:1000:START:0]
[CE_DISPLAY_NAME:NAME:husk:husks:husk]
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:60:START:0]
[CE_PHYS_ATT_CHANGE:STRENGTH:300:1000:TOUGHNESS:300:1000:START:0]
[CE_ADD_TAG:NO_AGING:NOT_LIVING:OPPOSED_TO_LIFE:STERILE:EXTRAVISION:NOEXERT:
NOPAIN:NOBREATHE:NOSTUN:NONAUSEA:NO_DIZZINESS:NO_FEVERS:NOEMOTION:
PARALYZEIMMUNE:NOFEAR:NO_EAT:NO_DRINK:NO_SLEEP:NO_PHYS_ATT_GAIN:NO_PHYS_ATT_RUST:
NOTHOUGHT:NO_THOUGHT_CENTER_FOR_MOVEMENT:NO_CONNECTIONS_FOR_MOVEMENT:START:0]
[CE_REMOVE_TAG:HAS_BLOOD:TRANCES:LIKES_FIGHTING:MISCHIEVOUS:START:0]

EDIT: See also my thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=115854.0
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 03:00:17 pm by Urist Da Vinci »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2012, 02:59:33 pm »

Perhaps it's different with different husk types? Remember, they're procedurally generated.
Sig

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2012, 03:07:38 pm »

Perhaps it's different with different husk types? Remember, they're procedurally generated.

Nope, I just generated a pocket world with 200 evil cloud types and no other procedural creatures, and [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO]. Extracting the raws from world.sav revealed that those tokens are all the same, but the name of the husk/thrall/zombie is procedurally generated.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2012, 04:02:50 pm »

Anyone else misread the title as Holy Mollusk husks?
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2012, 04:05:50 pm »

How about Holy Moly Musks?
Sig

Gaybarowner

• Bay Watcher
  • [SLOW_LEARNER] [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 11:33:34 am »

only real way is to get burrows ready strike a cavern and make a underground tree farm ect tben pray but sadly you wont win :-[