Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Found an awesome site, need advice.  (Read 1588 times)

untakenusername

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Found an awesome site, need advice.
« on: September 09, 2012, 02:10:10 pm »

So I was looking around a freshly generated world for an embark sight and found this peculiar 1x1 evil tile:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not only do I have little experience with evil zones, but I've never successfully breached an aquifer before, I'm embarking because this jungle is simply too awesome to ignore. Any advice for me?

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Found an awesome site, need advice.
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 02:22:05 pm »

Good luck.

Bring lots of wood and food. Wall yourself in and dig for the caverns. Most evil doesn't reach there, the exception being undeading effects.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 02:22:44 pm »

Beware of the two horse/camel type creatures that you bring with you. If they starve to death they can reanimate and easily butcher the rest of your dwarves on their own.

Also for dealing with aquifers I find the best method is the double-slit method.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 02:24:30 pm »

We don't know if it's a reanimating biome yet...but just chuck them into the caverns ASAP. Plenty of grass down there.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:15:19 pm »

The important thing is to get your dwarves underground ASAP. You should probably burrow them there, too, because evil weather can strike without warning and do horrible things to your dwarves.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 12:44:26 pm »

It's a good idea to pit the 2 caravan animals in a hole you never want to see again, if you want to be on the safe side. Alive or dead, easier if alive.

doublestrafe

• Bay Watcher
  • [PONY_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 01:42:33 pm »

If the evil tile is really 1x1 (and reanimating), and unless you have nasty evil weather, you're totally golden. Make your refuse pile outside of that area, and have dwarves gather refuse from outside, and you won't have undead problems. You can usually figure out exactly which parts are evil, especially if it's the only part with an aquifer, because the stone will be different, the grass will be brown, and the trees will be dead.

Here's what I do with reanimating evil/not-evil borders: the world's second-best archery range.

Code: [Select]
X = Burrow named "Shooting Gallery"
                      |
                      |
Decontamination       |
| chamber             |
|                     V
|  ╔═╩┼╩═╗         ╔═════╗
`->║+++++║         ║.....║
   ╚═╦┼╦═╝         ╠╬╬╬╬╬╬═╗
     ║+║  Not evil ║++X++┼+║  <--Anti-scare airlock
---╔═╩┼╩═╗---  ----╠╬╬╬╬╬╣+║---
   ║+Ñ+++║  Evil   ║.....╠┼╝   
   ║++Ñ+Ñ║         ║.....║
   ║Ѳ/≤+║         ║.....║▲  <-- Ramp to
   ║≤²+≤²║         ║.....║       hatch-covered
   ║²/Ѳ≤║         ║.....║       pitting hole
   ╚═════╝         ╚═════╝
      Z              Z+1

This is a training facility for marksdwarves. Enemies or enemy corpses are pitted into the evil chamber, or placed in cages and released. If you use building destroyers, replace the doors with drawbridges. Marksdwarves are ordered to defend the Shooting Gallery burrow. As undead revive, the marksdwarves shoot them down. If you need to clean the cage out, for example if you catch a Bronze Colossus (which makes a better target, as it gives lots of experience and won't die so you don't have to wait for it to revive), allow the undead into the decontamination chamber. They'll get killed by the marksdwarves, and won't revive.

DO NOT put this near a kitchen unless you make sure to use only sentients. Cooks will attempt to path to fresh corpses or skeletons, fail because of locked doors or drawbridges, and cancel spam at you. It might be worth covering the pit with a retractable bridge, in case a marksdwarf drops some legendary biscuits in the gallery and you get cancel spam when a noncombatant tries to pick it up.

You should have legendary marksdwarves within a year.