Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravans + Wagons?  (Read 1314 times)

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravans + Wagons?
« on: September 09, 2012, 09:00:36 am »

I didnt find anything in the wiki, so...

Why should i go through the trouble and make my depot wagon accessible?
Appearently if they cant fit in with their wagons, they are comming on foot, which seems to be faster to me than the slow, bulky carriages.
So isnt having a wagon accessible entrance a kind of hinderance even?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Hurize

• Bay Watcher
  • Awesome God of Mass Destruction.
    • View Profile
Re: Caravans + Wagons?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 09:06:08 am »

Trader will bring more stuff if there wagons can reach your Depot.
if they cant, they will usually bring you all the low weight crappy crap.
The amount of malice in this thread is actually causing me some concern. I mean, chaining up mothers and forcing them to breed, just so we can drown their children to harvest their organs? Does this strike no one else as absolutely horrific?
You misspelled 'hilarious'

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 09:10:50 am »

That. If traders bring less and lighter stuff, that's less metal.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Berossus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:43:17 am »

Define "low weight stuff" please.
Before i made it accessible, they happily carried in 8 steel anvils, 3 sets of armor and an assortment of weapons to fit out 3 squads, amonst other things... what can i expect now, that they can drive in?
My son, many speak of the honor in war.
My preferred method is to wait until their back is turned, then impale them with a pike held by someone else.
Preferrably from a distance.

Cozmopolit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:48:38 am »

The key difference for me was that they will bring a lot more of the requested wood if they got wagon access. Same goes for flux stone - and those two are in my humble opinion the most valuable imports you can get (together with leather, but that's not a problem without wagons).

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 10:26:34 am »

Define "low weight stuff" please.
Before i made it accessible, they happily carried in 8 steel anvils, 3 sets of armor and an assortment of weapons to fit out 3 squads, amonst other things... what can i expect now, that they can drive in?
A lot more.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 10:38:30 am »

so if they carry it in, the maximum you could expect would be about 4 pages of items.

with the wagon you get more like 10-20 pages of items, especially after you've successfully given them a good profit each time they came.

Also not sure how they'd carry animal cages with say... a brown bear inside, although the elves manage it no problems lol.

Perhaps the main difference is simply how much stuff, for 3 pieces of armor is pretty pathetic. I've sent 50 metal pieces before with ~100 leather bits of armor.

Although i'm still noob so haven't tested this extensively.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 12:44:39 pm »

The elves have trained the bears to stick their feet through the bottom of the cage and walk where they tell them.

But yes, instead of bringing just a few hundred urists of gear, I've seen them bring along closer to a thousand or so. Plus they have room to haul away large amounts of heavy gear without running into the weight limit, as you might if you were to have only dwarves and animals.

Hammerstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 02:27:21 pm »

Yeah, I'd say the best part is they can hall off all your crap more easily with the wagons. On foot, I've seen at most 2000 free weight units on their end, not counting what was freed up by buying their stuff, while the latest wagons to come into my current fort arrived with about 20000 free weight units. Gave me ample room to dump stone crap and gold bars (prospect says this embark has about 80000 native gold, lol) on them while I took all their food and cloth, a reindeer bull and cow, and some nice steel weapons and armor.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 02:28:35 pm »

A horse can carry a trade capacity of 2000 weight, camels with 3000 weight. So that means the average non-wagon trade caravan brings between 6000 and 9000 weight of goods. A single wagon has a trade capacity of 15000 weight, meaning that caravans with wagons will bring between 4.5 and 6 times as many goods as caravans without them.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.