Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Varying crime and punishment in Dwarf Fortress: jail edition.  (Read 4003 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Varying crime and punishment in Dwarf Fortress: jail edition.
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:40:37 pm »

How do you deal with your misbehaving dwarves? Let them get off scott-free? Let the Hammerer beat them? Throw them into cages to rot? Make them drink water from a trough and eat maggoty bread? Lavish cells with a higher room value than the king's rooms?

I go with the last one, because either the nobles are being pests again and then the dwarf deserves compensation for being tied up, or the prisoner was tantruming and so needs cheering up. Either way they deserve ☼accomodations☼. ☼lavish meals☼, sunshine and/or whip wine, ☼thrones/tables/chains☼ from the best non-spoilerite metal I can scrounge up and ☼beds☼... Basically, a luxury suite you only get to visit if the authorities are annoyed at you.

Here's a blueprint of my latest version of this!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, all y'all, what do you do to your dorfs when they run afoul of the law?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Varying crime and punishment in Dwarf Fortress: jail edition.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:43:33 pm »

Pretty much exactly what you have there, though I tend to put the bed in the bottom left and the chair/table in the bottom right.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

LumberingOaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:07:24 pm »

I implement dwarven justice as just that - justice. Prisons are made to be functional but plain, and the floor of each cell is arrayed with menacing spikes connected to a lever opposite that cell's door, allowing for execution if deemed necessary. The notorious "violation of production order" arrests are avoided by careful baron selection and acquisition of every type of material under the sun, and fortress morale is generally high. A hammerer is appointed and given an official smiting hammer made to high quality, generally of silver. Crime rates are extremely low. To date the only convictions have been for vampiric murder, resulting in painful mutilation and eventual death from infection over the next year by the aforementioned spikes (I use wood precisely because vampires are the expected targets. It may be next to useless but it's a tradition). The hammerer has yet to be called despite murder charges being brought.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 03:08:56 pm by LumberingOaf »

Dalkar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 03:58:29 pm »

Anyone who does anything naughty gets dumped in the arena, given mismatched armour and weapons and has to rip apart goblins and deadly beasts to gain their freedom.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:14:28 pm »

Chains and the surrounding 3x3 having a bed, chair, table, booze and prepared food stockpiles, occasionally a well. It's all in my legendary dining room near the wall. Kind of a corner of shame, really- vampires are walled in with a lever, everyone else deserves to live happily.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:27:33 pm »

Dungeon. Its a nice dungeon, but dungeon.

Acrually, for a dungeon, its too close to the forrt stairs. I think I'll put it right before the increbily heavily guarded artifact vault.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:03:32 pm »

Usually I don't bother setting up a justice system, but when I do I go for the luxury accomodation route. Next time I might place the jails so that the food and drink stockpiles are the main food and drink stockpiles, and maybe I'll turn the top layer of the cell into the main dining room. Hmm...

Code: [Select]
Top level
+++++
+++++
+>CT+
+++++
+++++

Middle level
#####
#+++#
#XZB#
#+++#
#####

Bottom level
#####
#===#
#<==#
#===#
#####

The chain is placed in the middle of the middle level, allowing the dwarf access to the food and drink store on the bottom level and the chair and table on the top level. The chair and table are part of the main dining room, meaning that they don't go unused when the cell itself isn't being used. Berserkers can be held in place by a floor hatch on the top level. If they go mad on the bottom two levels, they can be sealed in (preferably until it is safe for the body to be discovered). If they go mad on the top level and won't move, then that's a little more troublesome. I guess you could send a firing squad in, though that's especially troublesome if the berserker is carrying a crossbow themselves. In that case you should probably seal in crossbow-carriers with a chance of going berserk right away. They can still access the food and drink.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:23:09 pm »

Normal dwarves get away with everything for me, since most of the time they're just being shouted at by nobles for not making even more floor grates or something. Vampires get convicted of every crime that hasn't had someone convicted for it. I usually lock the door of the cell once the hammerer arrives too, to stop the pesky medical staff interfering before the bloodsucker's wounds are sufficiently fatal.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2012, 03:10:11 am »

Ah, I was waiting for a thread like this.

From deep within the Central Hive, past the Dining Fortress and the Stockpiles, a passage leads to the inner spiral of the Quarry rampway.
This ramp then leads to amongst three things;

The bee hives (sting sting)

The grey cells (insert suspected/convicted vampires here)

More cells!

The ramp leads to the caverns/surface, as do the empty spaces. All of these lie within the evil biome and are very vulnerable to fliers, as well as having no water/food sources (that may change). So a life sentence is a death sentence. There are enough cells to imprison my fort twice.
Brass bars, chains and stone doors separate all of the prisoners, all must sleep by the edge.

This was constructed back when a 10zlvl fall was lethal, now it takes around 20zlvls to outright gib falling creatures. Luckily the quarry is on zlvl -22, still getting deeper.

If I want to execute a Dwarf, I take them to the arena, the necromancer cell or the Were-creature cell (chance of survival and redemption.)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 02:46:58 pm by Loud Whispers »